What do I do to calm my husband with Alzheimer's?

38

Answers

1 2 3 4
Roseie, can you get her to watch movies? My mother-in-law never watched them, but once I started to rent movies from the library for her, she really enjoyed them. I'd get her to watch two a day, best two bucks ever spent for four hours of quiet! I'd rent 10-15 at once, most are free (maybe the Downton Abby series, it's long). You could also blast the oldies, also known as music therapy lol, we both love that too. I use Pandora on my phone and carry a small quality speaker with me. I'd also keep moving, cleaning, cooking, vacuuming, gardening....

I am a CHHA working with a client with memory loss, she is a TALKER: from 7 AM when she gets up till 10 PM when she goes to bed nonstop. There is never silence, and it is just a repetition of everything. I am not a talker, I do respond and chat with her but it is really getting to me. I have no time for myself, you have to make eye contact at all times when she is talking,I cannot look away or she asks ,what are you thinking? I thought you are here for my company .If I am in my room she comes in, sit on my bed and talk, talk, talk. How do you suggest I deal with this? Thank you. I anxiously await your response.

Soft music helps my mom, and my dad used to hum along.

My mother has dementia and now lives with me and my 2 little bichons. These
little dogs love her and they make all the difference in the world to her. They love to snuggle with her and sit on her lap and make her feel loved and wanted.
Maybe you should consider getting a therapy dog for your husband.

Contact the local chapter of the Alzheimer's Association, they will be able to give you information on behavior management including calming techniques. Music is a great way to calm, you can also use scenic DVD's or maybe listen to books on tape if he liked to read. Look at his past interests and modify those activities, for instance if he liked to build or repair things, you can purchase pvc pipes for him to put together or you can attach to a board a lock and chain, a slide bolt, a light switch etc and make an activity board. If there is a local adult medical day care near you, check it out, he may enjoy attending and having a chance to socialize and keep busy. It would also give you a break. If he is more agitated in the late afternoon or evening, try behavioral interventions first but if that doesn't work, speak with his physician about his agitation; the doctor may prescribe a low dose of a medication that would help the agitation. Sometimes you learn what works through trial and error, if one thing doesn't work, try something else. Good luck.

Silence and a chocolate chip cookie. That's right, silence. Chew gum, whistle, sing along with the radio, but if there is one thing a man appreciates, it is a Silent Woman with a chocolate chip cookie.
Many a man left his wife and kept his dog because the dog never said a word.

My husband always liked country music so I have video Tapes and DVDs of his favorites in concert. Also he likes Benny Hill and always laughs when I play those tapes (we have about 10). Finding something related to his past interests is best way to go.

First find out the reason for agitation, it wasn't until I took my Ma for a walk outside one day and she started walking really slow, so I asked why, She said her feet hurt really bad and had for months [new to me] so in the street I took off her socks n shoes and because she had settled into the resthome, and put on weight her shoes no longer fitted her. Took her back to the car and drove on down to the shoe shop while feet were hurting so I could get a good response to the size she needed. They forget why they are irritated, but when its there then the facts come out.
anaemia and low B12 are other things.
Same for the good old UTI and chest infection, really an upsetting trigger point. ask for a urine test to be done. Or observe them drinking, that often starts them coughing at the beginning of a cold. Agitation of course also comes on with the good old 'sundowners' try going in the morning to see if there is an improvement. Once those observations have been ticked off. Then as others have suggested. My Ma cant stand the music when she is having an Effie.[evening fairy spell]

Jacobsonbob, I went through that last year when my brother died. Every morning I had to tell my mom all over again that her son died. It reminded me of the movie "50 First Dates" Drew Barrymore had amnesia and could never remember her 1st date, so Adam Sandler made her a video to watch. My brother added photos to our letter. It also helped that death situation to hide all the reminders, my life improved a ton after I removed their photos, they were too painful and confusing for her. I know how hard it is, the letter worked for us, I really hope it works for you too.

1 2 3 4