How to help calm my elderly Mom with sudden onset of dementia-like symptoms?

Our Mom is 106 (will turn 107 in Nov.) She is cared for in her home by three paid caregivers along with my sister and myself. She is healthy but has short-term memory loss and is too weak to stand or walk. She requires full-assist transfers. She has severe arthritis pain in her back, thus we give her hydrocodone morning and night. We recently asked Dr. if we could try a less strong pain med. He prescribed Tramadol. After 2 weeks on it, she developed a tremor in her right hand (her left is disabled by a long-ago stroke) She also seemed to have loss of vision. Dr. advised us to stop the drug and to give her tylenol/advil instead. First day off of tramadol, she began to have severe anxiety symptoms and seemed to be hallucinating about various things. She is normally pretty quiet, but she began a litany of loud questions and comments. She wanted us to look for her car, to take her home, etc. Previously, we had been giving her a light dose of ativan once a day because she was having mild anxiety but only in the afternoons. Dr. said we can increase that dosage. So sad to see her so agitated and confused at this late date. Any suggestions to help calm her further (natural things) would be appreciated.

23

Answers

1 2 3
Mom loved to have a glass of wine in earlier times, but don't think it would be very wise to give her alcohol with hydrocodone. Re the tramadol - she was not having hallucinations, agitation, anxiety to any degree until we took her off the tramadol after two weeks because we were seeing some unusual physical symptoms. After we stopped the tramadol, we immediately began to see the other problems. Have put her back on hydrocodone and a slight increase in ativan and she is doing much, much better. Thanks for all of the advice. We are blessed that she is living such a long life, but it can be pretty challenging for us to enjoy our own lives because we are so devoted to caring for her. We make the best of it and are very proud that she is still living in her own home.

Wow
Astonishing age and how wonderful she's at home - all good advice on checking for a UTI

Never heard of tart cherry juice helping to calm anxiety but it helps arthritis by reducing inflammation.

windytown: I thank you for that. I was like ...well, if you live (almost) to 107, you're allowed to start taking up drinking!

llamaloverlover47, I think you are just fine. I didn't think you were non-caring in your comments. 106 or 107 is hard to imagine. Whiskey all around!

Sylvia: I'm sorry that my post is going to come across as non-caring in re the whiskey. Oftentimes I've heard people say if a person gets up there in age that they're allowed to have a drink of alcohol. I apologize.

Sylvia1323: Drugs can manifest themselves into bad hallucinations, even though they are needed for pain. Poor dear...106! Oh, my. I would think at this point her doctors could give her ANYTHING that makes her without pain! Good grief...she's about to turn 107! Give her a bottle of whiskey to ease her pain and I don't mean to be flippant! This poor lady! ♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡

Tramadol is not good for the elderly and causes hallucinations.

Sylvia123

I understand. She is fortunate to have such a loving family.

zthr - Of course we know our Mom has lived a long life. Of course we know she is probably ready to go. But reality is that she is still her and she has been experiencing symptoms that are very upsetting to her and to us and that have now been alleviated by changing medications. She may live a day or a year but while she is here, we are going to give her the best care possible!

8/25/16. 5:35 p.m. PDT.

1 2 3