Buying clothes that fit. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I am going crazy trying to find my mother slacks that fit. She is very fashion conscious, and particular. She is 94 and her body has changed, with tiny thin legs and thighs, but larger hips and waistline everything she tries on is baggy in the thigh. I don't think that can even be tailored because of her build. And she refused to wear knit pull on pants, which would probably work. Does anyone have any suggestion? I'm at my wits end after taking her shopping and trying on 20 pairs!!!

35

Answers

1 2 3 4
I found after MUCH searching) a great secondhand store in which the wealthiest end of f]town donates clothes to support a battered womens shelter . For less than five dollars my 93 year old mother can spend an hour finding (barely if ever worn) petite clothes from (Lands End - which makes great pull on thick cotton staight leg pants, Talbot petite jackets in size 14 and a lot of three quarter or long sleeve jackets. I also am very stealthy when it comes to secretly tking away the clothes that no longer fit her --she was a size 10 most of her life. And assisted Living closet are only slightly bigger thn my dorm closet. I gbought hr a garment rack to hold ech weeks clothes. She doesn't have great hand co-orodination and almost all her clothes need spot removal so buying new clothes would be a waste. But if a new Chicos striped T-shirt gets a stain - at the cost of a dollar-- ts no big deal and she won;t remember it if I toss it. At her age she suddenly also looks lovely in pastels. The Salvation Army tand Goodwill turned up some great never-worn Merrel and Nike walking shoes but , on the whole, the big donation store was far too big for her, They made her nervous and their prices --evenwell worn Old Navy clothes --were surprisingly high. Their selection was frequently rather well worn.

Here we going again! She has her new shoes on. "The heal is so low"... "They slip with my stockings". I said it's not to late to send them back... But no, she wants to keep them. She'll probably wear them once and then relegate them to the closet. SMH

Have you ever heard of Buck & Buck? Adaptive clothing for seniors, with all sorts of velcro, back snaps, etc. Found them online.

Success!! I ordered from the jjill catalog! 3 pairs fit! Thank u all for your comments, suggestions, and support.

If only my muffin top came from muffins...

On my gosh, the tummy... where in the world did THAT come from?.... thank you, menopause, NOT..... I've always been quit thin, was a gym rate, but when mid-life hit it seemed all the weight shifted over to my stomach then some added weight... what the?.... I am now shaped like a pear. So much for all those years being at the gym :P

Creates quite a challenge in buying clothes !!

I guess if the most worrying thing about caregiving was finding clothes that fit their loved ones there would be no need for this forum!!!!

My mom worked 30 years in a very high end department store selling designer clothing. She's a bit of a snob. I wouldn't dare buy something at a thrift store...SMH... As bad as her eyes are (she has macular) she will still read labels. You guys are lucky you have workarounds.... Yesterday she complained her back was really sore. I explained it's because she was at the mall trying on 20 pairs of pants....
I looked at the Mason site. They had 136 styles in her size. Sadly, most she could not or would not wear, and the ones she would like, she's already tried.. Again...smh. She was at the doctor yesterday, and was so happy she lost 5 lbs. must have been all in her legs cause her tummy is still just as big.

LOL...Ductape just might save the world one day. I LOVE shopping consignment and thrift stores. (that is when I was working and needed to update the wardrobe from time to time) You can find great deals...some stuff that rich people buy, never wear and "give away"..I usually find those at consignment. All great advise on fixing up for length and etc. $8 at Chicos retail might buy you a sock. One sock.....Lol!!

Heck I love goodwill for myself sometimes too! I got 2 tops for $8 today.. chicos and dress barn! score for me! And I was looking for a big cooker for my daughter.. didn;t find that...

1 2 3 4