If you are a paid caregiver, do you ever buy food with your own money when you know that an elderly person is not getting enough to eat?

One of my very old clients is not getting enough to eat and not enough early in the day. She needs more protein and less sugary items IMO. In most situations, I am responsible for buying food. But not in this case. The son has been slow to respond to my concerns
My hourly rate is high enough so that buying extra food will not be a financial problem in the short term. But I would like to know what others recommend in this situation. Thank you for your advice.

16

Answers

When i did private duty, the family i worked for gave me a credit card with small limit. I was responsible for all the shopping and meals. Since i was mon- fri i would leave meal schedule for weekend caregivers. I would leave my receipts for DIL to match to statement. It was the perfect system. Totally stress free for everyone involved.

And some of them are great gardeners too. David Austin's roses are magnificent. Sighhh....

Yes, and many of the great chefs are men. They are good at lots of things.

In all fairness to the gents here on the forum, I don't know too many women who change the spark plugs or oil in their cars, or tune up the engines. I do joke about men in the grocery store; I'll bet they joke about women in man caves and car supply stores.

We both have our strong points, I guess that's because we come from different planets as the pundits write.

Freqflyer, funny! My parents were the same way. Mom ran the kitchen. Dad was clueless. I still see guys in the grocery aisles on their cellphones calling their wives or girlfriends totally perplexed.

AD, good advice and good plan.

YogaGirl, good idea to get a gift card to avoid the hassle with paying for groceries.

Believe me no one is born knowing how to cook or shop for groceries. I think that some men find grocery shopping boring so they come home with junk... same with cleaning or laundry, just make a mess of it and the women in their lives will roll their eyes and take over the chores. Clever, huh? No wonder so many of us are doing 90% of the housework :P

My Dad was that way, I remember he would follow Mom with the grocery cart going down the same aisles of the same grocery stores for 25 years, yet if you sent him to the store he couldn't find anything.

I bought dad's caregiver a gift card to a big grocery chain in a modest amount. Just in case I forget something she picks it up and never needs to spend her own money.

After everyone's encouragement, I decided to be straightforward. No more low-fat meals--wake up to her weight loss. Told the son how to use the bathroom scales & told DIL to buy a digital scale.
Now I will enlist the Monday caregiver to help me. She does not feel competitive with me. The T, Thurs caregiver is sneaky and acts like she is in charge. I hate competition about caregivers, even though I am good at what I do.
I do believe that men need more guidance in what to buy. And I will tell him what he needs to buy. I have a brain and a heart; I am going to use them together in this case.
Stay tuned. Keep sending me advice--I need it.
Thanks a zillion!!!

Good idea to confide in the attorney; he/she could bring in APS if necessary, but will have it on record that you've had concerns about this woman.

I've had a bad feeling about this situation.

After seeing what so many apparent bachelors put on the checkout counter, I do think there are a lot of men who don't know how to shop or cook. For all we know he might be giving her chips, pretzels and beer.