Distant brothers try to sue the caregiver sister. How do I get this to end?

I was the caregiver/POA/Executor for my parents,designated by my parents, before my parents were ever ill. I was the only daughter and also an RN. When I moved away from home, my parents followed 6 months later.
My father died from complications associated with Pulmonary Fibrosis, in January 2011. My mother died March 2012 when the Flu struck her hard, having multiple co morbidities. She had no fight in her and wanted to be with the love of her her life for 55 years. I was able to keep dad at home, and he died in his home. Mom had to go to skilled care for strengthening, being there 3 1/2 months, died in the hospital.I had quit my job as an RN in the ER to care for them and we were best friends! I had a family as well, and they also helped with cares many times. The brothers didn't help at all.
I had followed all dad and mom's requests as far as healthcare, finances, etc. Dad set up 3 CD's for me for the years I cared for them.(nothing close to what I would have made in the ER) They also left me their car since I was the one that hauled them everywhere for years. Their home and IRA was split 4 ways.
The brothers are dissatisfied with how mom and dad left things, claiming I abused my POA and stole from my parents by way of the CD's ,car,belongings, etc. Their claims and accusations are unbelievable. They have harassed me to the point I had to dissociate myself from them and block all contact per advice from the Sheriff. They are on their third lawyer, and I gave up the Executor position to the oldest brother. They have bullied everyone that has been involved and didn't pay any of them. The judge told their lawyer that this is a frivolous law suit, but they could go ahead if they want.
I had a Deposition with this third lawyer this week. They had an audit done and I answered all questions with documentation to back it up. Their lawyer told my lawyer that I "blew the m out of the water".
There is much more to the story, but I just need advice as to how this will end up and if it ever will end. There is no estate, just a few taxes to pay, which they wouldn't pay in 2012, so now their is tax plus interest. This has been more stressful than being a caregiver for my parents. The family has been torn apart. I have one brother that supports me, the other 3 are on the attack.
I am tired of paying a lawyer to defend me when I have done nothing wrong.

43

Answers

1 2 3 4 5
So happy for you that you won! Justice finally prevailed! :)

Two cents..I don't understand your comment at all. Sorry. Everyone else, thank you. It has been a long and expensive 5 years. But, they lost and will have to find another destructive way to deal with their guilt.

Very cool! So happy for you!!
Nurses are patient I know, but you get the Florence Nightengale Award for this!
Congratulations!

Praise the Lord! So HAPPY FOR YOU! Wishing you many Blessings, Peace and God Bless!

YEAH. I won! Verdict came in today. Thanks for the prayers!

If everything was split according to the will why did u give up executorship? Did probate sign off? If u gave up executorship, the taxes, etc are brothers problem now not ur. POA was revoked at time of death. Let me guess, brothers had nothing to do with parents while alive. Someone needs to make a judgement that brothers do not have a leg to stand on.

you have no idea how much i dislike 'famblee'. My mom had similar 'famblee' and an extremely similar situation. Forunately, the judge in her case tossed it. Perhaps 50 years ago they had more common sense. I cannot be sure in your case, but I think a lot of these cases that would have been tossed years ago are presided by the judges that grew up in todays 'unicorn' culture. Make sure it's faaaair. Do not judge the plaintiffs, they are just unhaaappy.
And for those of you thinking about having a baby to provide the older kid a sibling because they deserve it, they need plaaaymates... well just read the original post here. Much of the problems encountered here, with all I've read, is the 'famblee' dynamics that have been in existence for all their time. It is sad, but even in these circumstances they still act out. God bless and hang in there.

Praying this gets resolved, feel for you. God bless.

I'm praying for you and a positive verdict. I have a strong feeling that they're going to get their butt's kicked. At that that's what I'm hoping for.
Blessings,
Jamie

I still don't get it -- how long can it take? And my understanding is that the clerks do the review anyway. Plus I'm surprised the court would allow such a late date for the report from the court reporter. Just doesn't seem right. At least not in the light of justice, because you're still suffering all this time, even though you should win. How have you held up all this time, just from being 'beaten down' by people who should care about you? That part is so hard for me sometimes; my saving grace is my God. I find myself in a cycle of bitterness and repentance.

1 2 3 4 5