My brother sold Mom's house, moved her and won't tell me where she is. How do I find her?

the real estate agent refused to say who sold hous

25

Answers

1 2 3
To the OP, hopefully ur bother had guardianship or a POA because he can't sell the house without them. A Realtor should have them on file.

Arleeda, you don't have to have ur daughters as POA for u. You can have a lawyer, a trusted friend or another family member. With my girls it will be one for financial and the other, who is a nurse, for Medical. With each secondary to the other.

You could hire a lawyer and a private investigator. Just explain the situation and say that your mother is missing and tell them what you think may have happened and see if your suspicion is right. Tell them about her house being sold by the brother went really your mom owned it and you really want to find out what happened and why. Explain that you really want to see your mom. If you can provide documentation such as a birth certificate but this is your mom, this will help prove to who you're talking to that you really are her child, this will get you started toward finding her. You may also try a site called Searching To Reunite and see if kenna Peterson is still the private investigator. She's expensive but very worth it. 

Another trick you can try is to call the County recorder or email them. If you want, you can tell them what happened and that your mom may have been kidnapped and is being stolen from and taken advantage of by a vulture. See if the brother really did sell the house. Have you ever also considered contacting the APS? Have you also considered a police report? These are some other ideas that crossed my mind. Just tell them what you said here and see if the APS might help, but definitely get an elder care attorney and possibly a P.I. 

Thanks fedup! I have a sister who's a real snake. She attempted to kidnap my mother and take her away from her NY home to my sister's Virginia home, despite that fact that sis never cared about mom and never did anything to help her. I wondered why she would do that. She never wanted to be with my mom in the past. Then it occurred to me; she wanted to get mom into her house and steal her social security check! So I understand what terrible siblings are, and frankly, I'd do whatever I felt I had to do to protect my mom.

Ugh, family issues make everything so much harder!

You don't want to break the law, but you need to find mom...ANY real estate agent can look into the sale of the home, who sold it, who purchased it....just saying, that may be a start. The new owners may be receiving your mom's mail sometimes and perhaps they'd have a fwd. address. No harm in trying.

I am assuming that you have attempted a "face to face" with one of the brothers, right? If not , do try that before you go rogue.

Ask neighbors of hers, likely they saw or heard something...other family? I hate to see you have to bring in the "big guns" when perhaps a soft approach will get you where you want to be.

I do wish you luck. I think sometimes I have heard it all on these boards and then I see problems like yours--your mom was essentially kidnapped! and I think, "I'll take my own messed up family anyday!" Hope this turns out OK for you.

I could be wrong but it kinda sounds like you know where your brother is, just not your mom.

If that's the case you could go to both Adult Protective Services and the police and make charges that your brother is holding you mother against her will. APS will very likely do an investigation. If that happens brother will have to tell APS moms whereabouts and they'll likely want to see her. 

In the end - if all is well with your mother, APS still may not tell you where your mother is but at least you'll have a tiny piece of mind knowing that your mother is okay.

You could try typing her address into google, sometimes information about the house will be displayed by several websites that show real estate listings and sales.

Lol, Christine! Ummm - the fact that this course of action has come to mind to me in the past, has nothing to do with the fact I have considered the consequences with taking this route!

Sometimes the end DOES justify the means. 

Rainmom, good point. this will only work if there isn't an existing account and if your brother is unlikely to try to open an account for mom in the future.

Christine73, you've got the best answer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 2 3