Our Mom is in the hospital dying and my brother has taken her away from us. What can we do?

My brother has taken her away from us and kept her to himself for over two years and now can we see her. He will let no one in the hospital, he has taken over all her money, house and made her sign forms she didn't know, he has lied to here he is here POA or the next one higher than POA

24

Answers

1 2 3
There are always 3 sides to every story. Your side, my side and the right side.

Try calling her room and speak to her, if your brother answers try an outside party that may get through the firewall.

Retain a lawyer? How much time do you think you have when someone is dying? There is more to this story. You have the brother who has been taking care of the mother, now the OP is concerned about assets, not just about the mother. Where has the OP been the last 2yrs?

If she really wants to see her mother go to the hospital. It may already be too late.

You are correct, Irishboy. I have witnessed the death of both parents, sister, aunts and uncles, and it all comes down to "what's in it for me".....(not me, personally).

Find out what document your brother holds. Ask to see it, or retain a lawyer to obtain a copy of it. Keep a copy for yourself. Make sure that the lawyer you retain represents YOU. If your brother has instructed the staff not to let you in, your lawyer must write a certified letter to the hopsital on your behalf.. The staff may still object to your entry. Go from there. Who is "next of kin?" Even though your brother has the POA, his is your sibling, your mother's son. You are your mother's child also. Proceed as best as you can. Good Luck!

JessieBelle, while we don't know the whole story, let's be a little realistic shall we. Those of us who have been sole caregiver to an elderly parent/parents can kind of figure out what is going on.

Where was the OP the last 2 yrs? Why the concern now? Come on, the brother has been dealing with mom for the last 2 yrs, she is dying, now all of a sudden the OP is interested in mom.

And concerned about the brother being in charge of the finances. Where was the concern 6 months ago, 12 months ago, and 18 months ago.

I have said it before and I will say it again, the minute the elderly parent is dying(for sure) here comes the do nothing sibling concerned about their cut.

Hey, guys, you are being harsh. We don't know the story. We likely never will, since the OP hasn't been back. Without knowing the story, we don't know what is going on.

You have stood by and allowed him to do this .

Something doesn't add up here. Where has the OP been for the last two years?

Sounds like the brother has been the caregiver, now the mother is dying and now the OP wants to be involved.

Would love to hear the whole story, I have a feeling the OP is the do nothing sibling, otherwise how did 2yrs go by and no action taken, now it's an issue.

Hmmm.

Hospital policy may permit the patient or guardian to keep some people or all people from visiting. In our local hospitals, there is a security guard at the entrance along with the ladies that give you info for patients rooms. You also have to give a picture ID and that is posted on your badge along with the floor you are going to.

1 2 3