Is my brother right to withhold profit from Mom's house?

My brother bought mother's house in 2010 when mother couldn't wait to get rid of the house. She was of sound mind, but was unable to handle the process and had my brother do everything. Brother is out of state and she wanted him to buy the house and be here as much as possible. the house was appraised, the repairs were evaluated and my brother got a loan for what he could afford. My mother "gifted" the balance of the house to him, and he owned the house. Mother died, brother fixed house and is now realizing 110 thousand dollars profit. We share the estate, but he chooses to keep the profit as his good luck.
I can't imagine mother telling him to keep all the money after the deal she gave him, but she's not here. I accept this because I don't have a choice, but I worry about future dealings with my brother. My gut tells me this is wrong. Am I wrong?

30

Answers

1 2 3
Sorry for any confusion, NO! I definately want to do everything correctly, i dont know a thing about the buying and sellng of a house, inheritances, gifts, I Want whats best for daddy and what will make things better for him, which would be in his home. Where his mother died as well, but...doing something illegal ok r unethical is not a option for me and myhusband and kids. No way!

my3, there is no such thing as paperwork only. see a lawyer
A gift is not the same as inheritance. ask the lawyer
Relatives cannot fight or sue if there is proper legal process.
You cannot hide the house from Medicaid. Don't even try to.

My3, you say Dad gave you the house, and also that you want to buy it. I am confused. Whose name is currently on the deed? If Dad gave it to you, or you buy it from him, then it won't be in his name when he passes. How will your sisters have any claim on your house?

Do you expect that Dad will need Medicaid assistance for in-home care at some point?

And if it is a "gift" then its considered inheritance and relatives can fight that?

Thank you so much for advice. I am not planning on him going to a nursing home though. My grandmother never had to go to one. Someone took care of her in the house until hospice came in. So if we bought the house in paperwork only, because he doesnt want the money and definately doesnt want to sell the house. If he showed that money medicade would refuse services? Is that what ur saying?

My3, get an appraisal on the house, just as it sits now in disrepair. That is the dollar value you are getting, and the dollar amount you will have to pay back if Dad goes into a nursing home within 5 years IF it is a GIFT. OR You have a lawyer do the proper paperwork to agree on the sale price and dad can hold the mortgage if he agrees to do so. That way the mortgage payments will enable him to live on his own, or pay for assisted living.
IF the house needs more repairs than what the house is worth right now, I would walk away. Sell it as is, make sure Dad gets all the money in his accounts and nowhere else.
You have to be very careful with the finances to avoid legal problems with other heirs and avoid rejection from Medicaid when the time comes.

Ok so i have a question along these lines. You can tell me if i am morally right in this. My dad wants to give me his house since my sister didnt want it.Hes living with me now but hes competent and gave it to me before he injured himself and moved in 2 months ago. We would like to buy it and then we will all live there after it is fixed up. He now tells me my sister and other estranged sisters may have to be payed off, if not now later. The house is in bad shape. Needs alot of work and since we take care of dad and they never help only take financially. Why should they want or expect anything? Is it wrong to fix it up really nice so we all have enough rooms and a better place for dad to live? Also he cant afford to live by himself w a small ss check. Even if we sell it down the line, which it would be if we had to split it with 5 ppl.and we ended up profiting? Is that wrong?

I flip houses and $100,000 profit on a flip is really a very modest profit when you consider all the work involved and the costs of bringing a property up to standard.

Let me give you some ideas about this type of flip and the typical costs:
Full kitchen renovation: $60,000
Bathroom renovation:
Master bath: $45,000 (without replacing cabinets)
other bathrooms: $15,000
Wood floors: $18,000 for about 2,000 sq ft.

Of course there is a lot more expense if you need to do stuff like remove cottage cheese from ceilings, repair and repaint, open the kitchen to the family room (especially if there is a load bearing wall.) New roof, new landscaping, new carpet, new light fixtures, new appliances, new sinks and toilets, new mirrors, new cabinet knobs, new plugs and wiring to bring the house up to code, new windows, there's a lot of money that goes into repairs and you have to spend many hours picking out EVERYTHING for the flip. A lot of times you have to stop midstream and re-choose items because something came out different than what you expected. It's not unusual to have to change tile and granite suddenly when cabinets arrive nice but in the wrong finish. You also have to spend the entire time analyzing what the market wants and make the flip fit that or the house will sit on the market and you have to pay taxes and insurance on it until you can get rid of it. That means going to new houses and seeing what people are buying, while at the same time making sure you don't overspend on the house you are flipping for the neighborhood it is in. Honestly, I think it likely your brother more than earned his $100,000.

Thank you for your comment. I think I'm paranoid a little. I'm not very good at being paranoid or suspicious.

Your brother sounds like a greedy guy. Money first, people second or never.

1 2 3