My brother is refusing to let me see a copy of Mom's Will. Any advice?

Hi- my mother has dementia . My brother lives in the Family home. My mother is in a care home. She is 100 in July this year. I have no access to the family home . My brother has refused me entry. He claims he has Power of Attorney! This is inconvenient as when I visit my mother I I have to stay in a hotel. I live in London. My mother in West Yorks

27

Answers

1 2 3
I too would like to hear more from the OP person, I hope he will be back with an update.

Nick 1954? I'm curious? We all gave our valuable time to answer your question, are you reading our answers? I'm wondering what you're thinking?

Being the companion and caregiver is a lot of hard work, tell your brother you appreciate him bearing the brunt on the responsibility. I tend to side with the person doing the work. If you trust him enough to not give up your life to care for mom, trust him enough to do the right thing. If you are going to question him be ready to contribute equally to the chore of caring for mom.

Your brother may be trying to protect what is left of her home. Mom no sooner went into ALF and things started to grow legs and disappear. I feel so bad when I see that happen. Respect his privacy.

I thought you could request a copy of the POA...I guess see a lawyer. But yeah, the will has to wait.

I think more to the point at the moment is that a) you want to see your mother and b) your brother needs to provide proof that he indeed is POA to you. The will issue will resolve one way or another. It is after all, her money, not his or yours. I am a little intrigued as to why that came up first. I think I'd tell your brother that he needs to explain why he refuses to let you see your mother, if there isn't any reasonable explanation that we aren't hearing here, and if he will not allow that nor will show you proof that he has the authority to keep you from her, I would get a lawyer.

How old are you....if mom is 100, then you are surely "launched" as an Adult and able to fly on your own. Why would you expect your mom, or your brother, to pay you to come for a visit? Something not right with that, in my book. Your mom is the only mom you'll ever have. You can go visit, or you can not. Make your choice carefully.

Ask this question with someone who knows UK laws and how they relate to family law. I won't even touch this one except to say I had four siblings who were just as rotten...

I miss read your post sorry. I would try to speak to her doctor and I would also try to find out when he got the POA? Finding out if she was lucid at the time. As far as being a buzzard I am sorry that was said it has happened sadly at every funeral or death I have had to be close to by someone. Your brother being angry or resentful may be his right it is very, very difficult to deal with someone with dementia and to do it by yourself omg. What a tough job and very hard on that person. My significant other had brain cancer and did not know anyone all the time but me. After us being together for 15 years they were upset I got a poa only for his medical. I had to show we had other things we owned bank accounts etc. As it is we have a house together and bank accounts together so the hospital took my side. But I had to get those papers to prove we had been together for sometime. Now thank goodness he is well and have all of that taken care of. But I would only do it once his doctor agreed and his doctor (thank goodness) told the sons he already knew his wishes and I was not doing anything there father would not want me to do. Good Luck to You.

The Power of Attorney is only good if they are alive once someone dies it is null and void. If your Mothers will is filed in the court house of where she lives it is available to anyone to see. It may cost a few dollars to get a copy. So sad you come to see your mother and your not allowed to.

1 2 3