My brother has POA for our Dad, how can I get any info?


My dad is in a home, my brother had power of attorney but won't give me updates. The social worker at the home is going to discuss things with him (I am not expecting success tho am hopeful). I wondered what recourse I have - mediation, or lawyers? Or are there any other options?
Any advice or help greatly appreciated.

This question has been closed for answers. Ask a New Question.


The home will only work with one person regarding their patient because they don't want to be caught in the middle of an argument. Both the home and the POA are required by law to keep patient information and records confidential.
I had a conversation with a woman who did not like her mother's nursing home or her healthcare coverage and said she had POA. It was a short form POA she got at an office supply store. It was not filled in properly and so she had no power at all.
Helpful Answer (1)

Your only recourse is for you and your brother to work as a team to do what is best for your Dad. But you both have to be on the same page.

Has your brother been doing all the heavy work taking care of your Dad or have you been helping doing half the care? Sometimes when a sibling feels they are doing all the work, they will shut out the others because they are too physically and emotionally exhausted to deal with it, especially if the other siblings are against what is being done.
Helpful Answer (1)

This question has been closed for answers. Ask a New Question.