Can my brother keep me from my Mom?

I took my mom out of a nursing home and placed her with my brother. We all wanted it. The state showed up to check on my mother. Hes accusing me of calling. I did not call anyone. He says I lost phone rights with my mom because I wont admit to it . I cant see my mother or talk to her over something I didn't even do. How can I prove to him I didn't do it. All my calls are dead ends so far. If I could find the person that came out they can let him know I didn't do it. I really need help. Im missing precious moments with my mom. Someone please help me. This drama is not healthy for my mom. Shes at her happiest when she gets to see all her children. I know this is killing her just as it is me.

30

Answers

1 2 3
texas has cps (children protective services) and they have the same for aged parents/ or adults. Your brother is curiously defensive which is bothersome. MAYBE MOM DOESNT NEED to live THERE. You need a family law attorney to step in...Moms are our embilical cord to the universe. My step father did this very same thing to me and denied me access to my very ill mother( I was only child) and he WAS abusing and neglecting her....I turned him in to state protective services and they never followed thru....I was frantically filing suit on him and a writ of habeus corpus which means she would have to be brought to court so I could see and talk to her....and she died in one week. IT WAS GUTWRENCHING...if $$ is an issue....ask your district attorney what to do and get a minimal fee legal services number for a super cheap attorney QUICKLY.

You DO have a right to see your mother, even though she is living with your brother in his home. Someone called the State, so you can assume that someone had a serious concern about your mother's welfare. Call the State Elder Care Services Department and tell them your story. Tell them your mother's name and your brother's name. You should be able to find out what is going on with all that.

I agree with some of the comments above. It sounds like your brother is hiding something. Things are not right with this situation and it is very possible that your mother is being either/or physically abused in some way, financially abused and exploited. Many states have laws against financial abuse.

My only disagreement with Frustrated3 is that the home is no longer just your home, but now your mothers home and she still has rights and privileges. Also, sometimes family do not visit relatives for mountain of reasons. Often the thought the person will always be there and subconsciously finding comfort in that. While it is not an excuse it happens all the time in families. Do you visit all your siblings often? When a family members move or are confined the fear of losing the loved one becomes greater and visits increase. I agree that their can be some conditions for visits, but your implication is that you leave your mother unattended and that is when others want to visit. Why is she unattended? If she is not unattended then some is there who could be present for a visit from one her children. I have to ask, but if the roles were reversed would you feel exactly the same?

Hmmm, why do you insist on finding out why they were called or who called them? Shouldn't you be focused on making sure you can talk to and visit your mom without all this drama?

Frustrated3 brings up a very good point about it being their home and others can't just visit willy-nilly. Respect for everyone, not just your mother, is critical in order for this to work.

I know, you're right, it is very upsetting and so needless. I'm sorry. I really hope this gets sorted out very soon.

I know shes well taken care of thats what dont make sense. If the state came to see where she was living and the conditions thats no reason to get paranoid and assume someone called. Welcome a visit to show how well she is being cared for.

Verysad, some people can't tell the difference between a fair question, and an unfounded accusation, and they get very offended if anybody asks them anything. Is your brother a bit like that?

If he is, it could be that actually everything is fine for your mother in terms of how well she is being looked after day to day and he just took umbrage at being checked up on. I know it doesn't solve the problem of why he's behaving like such a (expletive deleted), but I hope it's a consoling thought that he is almost certainly treating your mother well meanwhile. Best wishes for getting all of this sorted out. Keep going, chin up x

I would call eldercare a place a complaint. This is abuse. Your mother is probably distressed that she can't see all her children. If he is POA, he is abusing your mother's rights. I don't care if it is his home. He has no right to make this call. Get an elder care attorney and take him to court. You have nothing to prove to him. He is paranoid. Maybe he shouldn't be caring for your mother.

Wow. You all have such big hearts. First I want to thank everyone for your overwhelming support. I am going to write down every place you all told me to call. I have been calling numbers for days. And they give me more numbers to call. No luck yet. I will continue this to get to the bottom of it all. I certainly want to know why they came out and if someone did call them. The nursing home did say that they did not request a visit from the state. APS said there was no report made. APS of economic services told me because she is bed ridden she must have a phone by her at all times or she becomes a vulnerable adult. Yes she does ask to see me. I want you all to know that I sent her flowers. And every time I send her flowers I call to here her voice cause she gets so excited. That has been our thing for years. Ive been calling for a couple of days with no answer throughout each day. After the flower email came to me with confirmation of delivery I called and she answered. That was after my post. I love her. I want you all to know I will continue this because why is he getting so mad someone is checking out her living situation. What does he have to hide. Thank you so much for pointing that out. Your right it isnt about proving my innocence. Its about finding out the reason they came out. I have alot of numbers to call and I appreciate everyone of them. Sincerely jeannie

I do have a common experience in that my sister is not allowed to visit when we are not present. It is our home whereby we have housed our Mother and it is not free for others to visit willy-nilly. It is amazing how they wish to visit when you're not home and even more amazing that they never visited when they had their own place.

1 2 3