Brother in law was dads POA, died passed away, me and sister are dads executors . Can he collect our share for us?

re his excuters why does brother inlaw want me to sighn to give him authoritie to collect my half of will. will I shighn it. thank you.

16

Answers

thank you for all your replies. went to dads bank today . sister and me went in, it has got to go through probate, sister will not pay for it, she said she would ask her son to do it, he is a barrister. she a

met sister at dads bank,,,,,, it has got to go through probate, she said her son can do it as he is a barrister . im not sure if he can. she also said she would take her time in doing money is the root of all evil,

As others have said, in the U.S. POA is powerless after death and the executors of the estate should be handling all matters for the estate (i.e. administering it). If anything, it sounds like you should be writing the checks!

THANKYOU, FOR YOUR ADVICE....

Do not sign anything. The POA's job ends as soon as your father died. The executors are now in charge.

if brother in law had joint acces in dads bank account as pot. can he still have acses to my dads bank account and draw money out. I live in united kingdom. ps. dad passed away 4 wks ago

thank you for all your help and advice. sister is meeting me tomorrow at bank to claim our inheritance. cant under stand why brother inlaw ask me to sighn for him to collect inheritance on my behalf. I can only think they did not want me to see what they had drawn out when he was my dads pot. he said he had put my dads money into a high interest account and could not be touched for a year.then all of a sudden I can go tomorrow to claim what is mine. ill never find out. every thing is so sad.

Wills,Trusts, estates and Power of Attorney may differ from USA to England as variers from State to State here in the US.
Most or all in the USA,Power of Attorney is void after death.That's when executors come into play.Having your brother sign for you isn't the best idea to avoid probate.

bookluvr............thank you for all your help and advice. hope you sleep well. good night. thank you once more.

It's almost midnight and my eyes are getting tired reading the computer. I did find something interesting that might help you.

The question: Are you one of the executors or are you a back-up executor? If you are one of the main executors, this is a very interesting information. By the way, you do understand what an executor's duties are, right? I've included it below - for clarification.

**What happens if more than one executor is appointed?

No matter how many executors are named, for practical purposes it’s usually easier if one of the executors undertakes the administrative tasks on behalf of all the executors.

The executors should meet to discuss the practical side of carrying out their duties, and whatever is agreed should be put in writing and signed by them all.

All the official paperwork may have to be signed by all the executors, even if they agree that one of them is doing the administration.

**What are the duties of an executor?

Duties of an executor involve corresponding with other parties, keeping meticulous records, filling out forms and being answerable to creditors, beneficiaries and the intentions of the deceased, as recorded in the Will.

Executors’ duties include the following:

**Administration
=Taking an inventory of the deceased’s possessions and debts
=Notifying and corresponding with all relevant organisations to gather together all the assets
=Paying all bills, debts and charges on the estate
=Searching for any unclaimed or missing assets
=Distributing the legacies (whether specific items, cash sums or residue)
=Preparing and distributing estate accounts to interested parties
=Distributing the residue of the estate to the beneficiaries
=Following the testator’s wishes as closely as possible.

**Legal
=Applying for a grant of probate (in England & Wales, and Northern Ireland) or confirmation (in Scotland) to prove that the executors have the authority to deal with the deceased’s assets to those institutions and authorities that hold assets in the deceased’s name
=Identifying and dealing with any claims against the estate

**Tax
=Completing inheritance tax returns and paying any inheritance tax due
=Completing any income and capital gains tax returns and paying any outstanding tax

**The executors’ aims are to:
= Identify the assets of the estate and assess their value at date of death.
Identify the deceased’s debts and pay them.
= Distribute the legacies.
= Get more detailed information and advice on the duties of executors in Lawpack's Executor's Guide.

Irenepat, You can get a copy of the will. I found this on a website from a company who makes it their business to do this on your behalf for a Fee. They also gave you the option to do it yourself. This is what they stated:

H.M. Government (Probate Service). Customers wishing to make their own search, can do so by visiting the probate registry in person. A return visit would be required, as copies are not issued on the same day. The cost of obtaining a probate record from the Government Probate Registry is £6.00. For the probate registry address, please see the government website at: www.justice.gov.uk/courts/probate/probate-registries

The website is from......probate records. co. uk .......

I'm still Googling.....