Can my brother be evicted from Mother's property?

I am the legal guardian for my mother. During court my brother agreed to be the caregiver, once we left court he stated he decided he did not want to be the caregiver. He also lives in the property and has convinced my mother to quit claim 25% of the property to him. He has not and does not contribute financially toward any of the utilities, does not assist with property tax and refused to assist with upkeep of the property (roof repairs, main sewer line replace) and now windows are needed. He also does not work and is not look for employment.

22

Answers

1 2 3
I thought reptiles was pretty good!

Typo he relies on my mothers income.

Thank you both for your responses. Prior to moving into her home in June, she was approved for adult day care 3 days a week and a home maker for the other 2 days. I asked my brother to take the training so that he would be paid for the hours spent with her (6 hrs) he refused. We rotates weekends and I cared for her during the evenings during the week after I got off from work. He was provided more than ample time to seek full time employment. He chooses not to work and reptiles in my mothers income. I do understand what it takes to be a caregiver, worked in a hospital for many years and now work with county providing direct services. Think I've been more than fair. Pay all utilities, food and just paid 1/2 for new roof and sewer line that's totaled 10,000. I have no interest in the property. He has 25% and has not co tributed to any repairs. I think he's paid very fairly.

and just another post thought....If he can't leave her more than a few hours, how is he supposed to get a job to pay the bills? Everybody wants to take over control of things, but do they really know what they are getting into? Are you financially able to pay all the bills AND hire someone to care for mother? Things to think about. Once you take on POA it is your duty to do everything in her BEST interest....even if that includes using your income. And if your brother has been living there at least 2 years as a caregiver, the home would go to him. Don't know why he would only settle for 25%. Know the LAW.

PS: As guardian, it would have been your responsibility to pay these bills and find proper care for your mother, or do it yourself. If you felt he was not properly caring for her, it is your responsibility to either find someone who can, or take over care yourself. Now living with her I'm sure you have more of an idea what it is to care for someone with dementia. I know firsthand having cared for my dad and now living with my mom. So I do know the responsibilities. Good luck with everything. :)

If he was living with her, caring for the home, and house duties think he deserves at least some compensation. You would have been paying those bills regardless of him living there or not. Live-in caretakers working for a company I looked into are generally compensated around $150/day for 8 hours, room and board, weekends and nights free. And any medical assistance needed you would have to have a professional come in to help with. And paying just for someone to stay overnight would range in the $10 to $30 range depending on how much care she needs. Things need to be fair. It's like the housewife who cooks, cleans, cares for the kids and home, yet people say they do nothing all day.

No I think what is past is past, no going back to recover anything. Just move forward, do what is best for her.

You just made me smile! So that I'm making an informed decision and know what all of my options are, am I able to sue on her behalf for past years of utilities paid by her in addition to taxes from the time his name was added to the deed?

neversettle, If she needs a nursing home, by all means, move her there on Medicaid. All of her checks will go to the nursing home. Then call the utility companies and arrange for a shutoff and notify bro he has to call them and put them in his name before the shutoff date. The state will not require the house to be sold, but they will establish a lien on her 75% of it. They will not actively foreclose until after her death. If there is a mortgage, bro will have to pay that and the taxes or they foreclose as well. What a lovely thought.

Spent my day speaking with a pro bono attorney. He stated that verbally agreements are not recognized in the state of Illinois and the most we can possibly expect in our favor is 25% of repair cost since he is in the deed for 1/4 of the property. We will need to show proof of the needed repairs and what work was completed with receipts. There is still no guarantee. My thoughts are to cut my losses as guardian/daughter and place my mother in a nursing home where she can receive 24 hour care. Her SSI can go towards her care. Not sure if the state will require the sell of the home to obtain her 25%? The tension is only escalating between us and the verbal threats are mor than I can handle.

1 2 3