Broken hospital bed- will Medicare cover repairs?

When my husband was released from rehab last May, Medicare paid for a hospital bed. It was provided by the home health service and whatever supplier they used. For the 3rd time in a year, the bed has broken. This time, it blew out our circuit breaker. I am praying it didn’t ignite the wiring inside the wall. My question is, even though he’s no longer under Home Health Care, will Medicare still pay for the repair of his bed? We didn’t buy this bed. It was provided for us as DME. We cannot afford to buy a new bed or extensive repairs. Thanks in advance!

6

Answers

www.medicare.gov/coverage/hospital-beds.html

My mother had a bed through Medicare. What I remember about it is that as long as it is within the period where Medicare is paying a rental fee to the medical supply, then repairs are covered. At the end of the period (I think 24 months) if the patient ( insured)  is still using the bed, then it becomes the property of the insured and as the property of the insured, the medical supply is no longer required to repair it. 
One other point, after a certain length of time, another bed will be provided if needed. 
Call a medical supply and question them. I would probably call a different one from the one you are working with to make sure you are getting the service intended by Medicare. 
We never had a problem with the electrical. I hope you can get it resolved. 
Reply to 97yroldmom

You’re absolutely right, JoAnn. After the circuit breaker blew and later on when we heard a “pop” in the wall, I told Hubby no way was I fooling with the bed any longer. We’ve watched it all evening and there was no burning wire smell so I’m praying there’s nothing going on inside the wall. I’m sure we got a lemon. This is a recycled bed for sure. It’s already had the remote replaced once and I forget why we called the first time. I think it just stopped working. I feel so bad for Hubby, who can’t move, being stuck in one position.

I think you have a lemon. I worked for a Nursing agency that loaned equipment. We had some older beds that we never had problems with. I would bring this up with the supplier. I wouldn't fool with electrical problems.

I believe it is. We never paid anything for it, including any monthly fee. It’s been fixed twice before and we owed nothing. Thanks, FF!

Ahmijoy, by chance is the hospital bed rented via Medicare? Check the paperwork. If yes, then call the medical store that brought out the bed to the house.