Bringing food to Mother in nursing home. Any advice?

We take goodies, cookies, cupcakes, to my mother in a nursing home. We were told not to bring her stuff because it causes ants. They want me to leave it at the nursing station and they will give her a little each day. I found that when I do that the nurses do not give it to her but pass it out to the staff. The head nurse told me to tell her first and she would be sure that she got the stuff. I know she won't. What can I do? She loves her cookies and candies. Her mind is still very good.

19

Answers

No one will take care of a parent the way u will. Just be there andmake sure they are clean, fed and as happy as they can be.

Well, they had a meeting and told us bringing her goodies was okay. THAT was that staff. Apparently they don't all talk to each other. Oh well, I give up. Will take her stuff and just let her have it in her room. What the h*ll else do they have anymore? Once you're in the nursing home, you're on you way out so why not just let these people enjoy what little they still have. They are better places but still need a whole lot of change to be really good . Just hope I never end up in one.

I have found with shift changes the next shift isn't told everything. If something is left at the nurses station its probably assumed its for them. I agree, just take enough for the day you are there for her. I have a tupperware container where the lid pops on and off for Moms jelly beans.

SamlamW: That's right, the elderly person can't see the goodies that you placed before them the previous day. Mother started hallucinating, saying "that person (in the NH) jumped out of their bed to help me." It was staff member. Seeing people sleeping on the floor, calling the place a hotel. I did bring her iced coffee and a pastry, which she ate....eventually.

Treats at my dad's facility can be brought in and stored in rooms if in airtight containers. I've put small amounts of his favorite goodies into containers he can open and replenish every so often. His facility offers various treats along with regular meals. If you don't find they are agreeable to an easy open air tight container in your Mom's room then I'd go with bringing her a treat when you visit. It's such a hard transition with our loved ones having to follow these types of rules but I'm responding just to be supportive. Others have gone through these types of things lolipop2.

Lolipop, my dad was in a nursing home for 10+ years. We were very lucky, as it was a veteran's long term care facility and the staff (most) that attended to dad were great!

Dad's diet mostly consisted of muffins/cookies and milk, although he would go to the dining room for meals. Our solution, which as approved by the nurses, was to by him a little bar fridge that stood on top of the night stand. It worked well. We would stock up with milk, muffins, cake, etc. It was comfort food because he disliked going to the dining room, and quite frankly, the food was terrible (I tasted a bit during a Christmas celebration).

When my mother was in NH they had the same rules. My mother, the renegade, wasn't having it. We did the individual wrappers and sealed containers and she stashed them in her nightstand. Now my mother had all of her wits about her and caught the staff going through the roommate's stuff and called them out on it. Now, if your loved ones aren't all there and neither is the roommate then the staff will probably eat more than the ants. Sad but true.

I agree that if ants are drawn by the treats, why are they not drawn to the nurses station? And 'doling them out'? I doubt that would happen. Who's going to remember that? It sounds to me like bringing the treats are a sign of love and proof no one has forgotten her and she enjoys them and looks forward to them. I'd speak to the administrator. Tightly sealed containers should be sufficient and if the goodies are individually wrapped as well, all concerns should be addressed so there is no more problem.

I wouldn't generalize. Doesn't happen at my mom's nh. Not a fancy place.

Answer to jeannequibbs . I don't get all hot and bothered except I do pay for her care and do also pay for the goodies I bring her. The staff is not entitled to it unless offered to them. They take okay care of her as in most nursing homes. Nurses aides are fat and lazy. I do know that. I know she gets stuff there but likes her extras. From now on I will just bring her little wrapped candies that she can hide. Such a shame that everything disappears in these homes.