Any advice on briefs for men that give severe incontinence enough support?

My dad has severe incontinence, I bought store briefs and they did not give enough support, he leaked through. I bought briefs from a medical supply store and they still don't give enough support. He is being kicked out of the facility where he is right now because of this issue. Any advice would be great.

35

Answers

1 2 3 4
Normandy, you are so correct! Around here, the same people work both in nursing homes and in-home care. They tend to work in this field because they really want to sit around using their cell phones, that is when they are not sleeping on the job. Yes, day or night they sleep. Have caught them on camera--no one cares.. They provide as little care as possible, and are skilled in how to not work. There has to be a special reward in heaven for the one in fifteen who care and enjoy helping.

Guess those things must help some people, but for really severe incontience, they do not absorb more than one pee. Cost wise, they are definitely not worth it. I, for one am sick of all the hyped up ads.I ordered a sample, it didn't work. Then with all the hype, we ordered a case, following the advice of the "professional", in a smaller size. Even less coverage!

You can give a try to wellness briefs.

The question is always are nursing homes training staff and is their salary sufficient for them to offer professional care. Underpaid personnel perform matter of fact service. Staff if they do not understand their role should not be employed. Caregiving is a labor of love in addition to being a livelihood.

A brand called ATN ( All through the Night ) is good--says they hold 34 ounces.---- Nobody should EVER get " kicked out" for peeing! Absolutely " fight" to keep him there for now --- but then find another place to take him immediately by visiting and asking residents AND THEIR VISITORS-- especially people who have loved ones in a similar condition as your dad-- is it possible, perhaps, to have him at home with some daily help? And yes, also go to the website and send a complaint about this to the state licensing agency-- and fill out the " complaint/ concerns" form at the place where he is living now-- keep a copy for yourself always-- there must be a paper trail-- yet even then it is nearly impossible for nursing homes to be sited for wrong- doing because licensing people say they have to actually see the neglect/ issue-- and of course they will most likely have meticulous records which state that your dad has had perfect care. About diapers again---more frequent changes are necessary-- every two hours if he has been peeing through whatever brand you have been using while wearing the same diaper longer than that. It seems like someone where he living now should be helping him more. "Fight" for it--- everyone living there deserves sincere caregivers who treat people the way they want someone to treat them.
--KDH in Maryland

Danabear, our caregiver was thrilled to see your suggestion. So, I gave her a copy of your post. (And made one for me, too)

So, Tena seems to be the best for absorbency?

Danabear, that tip sounds ingenious!! I can't wait to try it out, the constant dressing and undressing is one of my bigger irritations :)

Ladylee mentioned the suggestion I was going to make. I'll elaborate.
A condom catheter is a slightly thicker condom with an opening at the tip that is connected to a drainage tube which is connected to a drainage bag. The drainage bag can be emptied. The condom part is usually secured with either tape at the base of the penis or with a special Velcro closure. When the man starts to urinate, the urine flows into the bag, keeping everything dry. I had many patients use these and they are more reliable than diapers that don't hug the crotch. The thing to remember is that the bag needs to be below the bladder for gravity to drain the urine. You can tape the drainage tube to the inner thigh to secure it so the condom doesn't pull off.
You can also use a skin protectant so the urine won't excoriate the skin, (make it raw from the ammonia). Most pharmacies carry these. Desitin is one we use on babies. I would also use a bed pad (Chux) under him. Some are washable and some are disposable.
Restricting fluids (unless the doctor specifically orders this for a condition where they have fluid buildup) is NOT a good idea for an elderly person. As we age our "thirst meter" doesn't work so well. Older folks tend to drink less anyway and frequently become dehydrated. Withholding liquids could result in many problems, worse than a wet bed!
IMO, having an "Indwelling" catheter should be a last resort. These can be a portal for infection if the c/g doesn't know sterile technique. You also have to have them changed every 2-3 weeks. I have seen patients with their urethra worn down the shaft of the penis 1-1/2"! For long term need of an Indwelling catheter, usually a supra public catheter is inserted (a hole made from the abdomen to the bladder). These also have to be changed every 2 weeks but they don't wear out the urethra.
Give the condom catheter a try. You could try a diaper on top as long as you thread the tube through the diaper first.

Danabear.that IS a cool trick, and it also works with winter coats and wheelchair dressing (slightly modified). Just wanted to add to all of the above to check out ",the pilot store"...there are tons of alternative equipment that may or may not work in your situation....lately my favorite thing is a portable urinal with a long tube which can be peed into while laying down or seated, and the container sits on the floor...looks like a gas can, no smell...less than fforty bucks. Sorta star wars esque. With female afapters even. We also used to get newborn baby size diapers, tape them into a cup (use masking tape on the outside if needed) put those over the mans penis, THEN put the adult diaper. Sometimes the urine would leak onto the adult diaper. But not as much. Also get the doctor to order a three day voiding diary which records when the fluids are consumed how much and at what time and how much the urine is.....one it make the staff pay more attention to both things and 2 you will have a better sense of what size diapers he needs and when to anticipate changing. Thosse tests are usually ordered for urinary problems so if he is being kicked oit of his housing over a urinary problem, I would get in touch with the ombudsmen and his urologist and push for that. Good luck.

I buy my husband the Tena brand, for men. I order them through Walgreens. I order down a size, so that they are a snug fit. In addition, I put a pad in them, for extra absorption, and easy change; this way I don't have to undress him completely. As others have said, the position of the penis is important; it needs to be down.

Also, I have my husband on the medicine Ditropan XL. This gives him the control, somewhat, to get to toilet. Without it, he has no control, and leaks while changing his clothes.

Lastly, A home that would tell you that he must leave, because of incontinence, doesn't sound like a reputable, caring facility. I would consider another home.

1 2 3 4