Not sure if my father is brainwashed, has dementia, or just playing games.

My dad is 78 this year. He has physical inabilities but his mind has always been real sharp. The last 8 years or so he began watching Alex Jones and other conspiracy theory political crazy things on YouTube. He became obsessed. The whole purpose of him living with me was for me to help with physical work he can't do, but geez regurgitating the utter nonsense about the Queen of England having blue blood and reptilians on the dark side of the moon was a higher priority than basic things, like throwing away nasty things before they hatch flying insects (it's great finding those surprises *sarcasm*), paying bills, etc. I literally could not speak to him about any thing, important or not, without him derailing the conversation into some crazy nonsense about space jews or the illuminati. It is incredibly frustrating. His mind is sharp because, he can regurgitate these fantasy level intricate stories with great understanding and detail. My boyfriend swears he doesn't have dementia. But when he gets mad at me because I don't believe that Hillary has clones and the Queen of England is a reptilian, then continues to badger me despite my actively trying to accomplish responsible adult tasks at that moment, I want to lose my mind and assume dementia. The other day I snapped. I told him that he needed to stop living as a victim, because that is what most of these conspiracy nonsenses instill. He looked baffled and said, then why is there so much evil if the globalists or the dark priests of the Cabal aren't doing blah blah. I told him because people are evil period. That's all. And he asked then why am I always broke if people haven't set it up that way? I told him, because of the choices I make. There are no powers that be who dictate my life. I make choices and that's it. I discovered that he has a deep sense of being a victim from being dependant on the government for SS, and feels cheated because he doesn't get much. Instead of addressing that sense of victim, he obsesses over conspiracy theories that provide evidence to back up his belief of being a victim. Anyway, he also seems to fake helplessness I've started to notice. I know it's for negative attention purposes. He used to never be this way. It's really hard for me to accept that he's not the same as he was 20 years ago. I want to spend time with him more but he badgers me with the conspiracy crap constantly. I can't tell him to stop because he ignores me and keeps talking, just tries harder to convert me to believing them too. He literally does not care that I hate it and actually laughs when I get mad and keeps going like a kid bullying someone. It makes me feel crazy. I feel so guilty, but he makes me feel crazy. I try to ignore it but he'll ramble for hours and it's so nonsensical the stuff he says that I can't handle it. Like going on and on about how Michelle Obama is a really a man and has man parts and there is all this evidence and this guy that knows said this and then there is this photo and blah blah blah. It's like when his rambling is able to be dealt with, he kicks it up a notch to something even stranger and weirder and I just can't deal and I have to snap on him and tell him to stop talking to me about this crap nonstop. I don't care. I don't want to hear it. And he keeps on and I just have to walk away. It's impossible for me to be around him almost. And I feel awful.

27

Answers

1 2 3
Please have your Dad checked for Lewy Bodies Dementia

If you ever look at youtube it is amazing all the garbage that this Iluminati
or whatever they call themselves spew out on a regular basis.

Sometimes when I cannot sleep I look at things on youtube. One night I got an earful. Former President Bill Clinton has aids cause he has lesions on his face. Donald Trump and his daughter Ivanka have an incestual relationship. It's all pretty disgusting.

I'm sorry for your Father that he has gotten suckered into believing all this stuff. But I do believe it sounds to me like he is having some kind of mental Impairment whether it be dementia or something else.

Cherokee: And this man is driving a truck? Why?

If you find out what is causing this, please, please let us know. I would have sworn you were writing about my husband!! He still works at 72 and listens to this type of junk everyday since he drives a truck. His memory is going bad too. He hates nearly everyone that is in politics. Makes unfounded accusations against people, groups, etc. Luckily, he doesn't know how to use the computer. But, he reads the papers, watches all sorts of shows and documentaries and starts spouting nonsense to me. I tell him I am not interested or that I will catch it later on the news. He loses stuff too. Lost his keys yesterday for the 3rd time. Swears he has never lost them before but the grandkids told him yes he had and we went to his work to help him look for them each time. They were found the last two times but, I am afraid they are long gone this time. It is going to be expensive to get new chip keys, house keys, semi keys, garage keys, etc.
I am getting him help. He is seeing his doctor as regular as I can manage to get him in. I do hope you get your dad in and get some help before you start to let yourself give in to him just to get peace.

Your dad needs to see a psychiatrist. He is suffering from mental illness and needs some meds. His behavior is not normal.

In addition to Jeanne's suggested responses, you could say something like "That is an interesting idea. Let me finish the dishes (or whatever you are doing) and then I will do a little research and get back to you." If his main goal is to engage you in an argument, this may head it off. I agree that a psych evaluation in is order and limiting internet access is a good idea.

Also, I've just read all the responses. I don't think your father is mentally ill. One thing I do recommend for all aging clients is to find a geriatric neuropsychologist to do a complete cognitive assessment. This is a process of several tests that takes 1 1/2 hours, then the results show any type of cognitive impairment. Since this is such a stressor for you, I highly recommend finding a geriatric specialist close to you to consult. When an elder, especially a male, has to adjust to living with adult children, dependency, loss of role, many factors contribute to maladjustment. If I were doing an assessment I would want to know his life history, work, family, education, losses, financial security. This process of assessment is not difficult so think about all the factors of your father's life that have brought him to this point.

I'm a geriatric consultant and I've had clients like this, almost always men. I see this as anger, resentment at aging, dependency, loss of role and social isolation. The TV or in your case video become the 'companion' and dependency on this noise becomes a constant source of information. I've been called to assisted living facilities to assess usually a male, 85 plus, who stays in their apartment, watches FOX or cable 20 hours a day, and is becoming angry, resistant to care, challenging behaviors with other residents, intolerance, and especially racial intolerance and attacks. It is not necessarily dementia. I would make an attempt to take away the video exposure, find activities such as a daily senior center exposure, something to expose your father to other sources. If you can find a Medicare provider as a therapist, I would also try this with you and your father attending the first session together, then take him for the counseling.

Is he on medications!?? Meds can cause delusional. Also, check him out for UTI.  Rule them first from his doctor. If that is not either one of them, then it may be dementia with delusional symptoms. 

Turn off your internet, or change password and dont give it to him. Stop the flow of garbage in and hopefully get less garbage out!

1 2 3