Where can I find a good bra for a 90-year-old with pretty severe arthritis?

She has limited use of her hands, and is unable to raise her arms very far. I have to buy the bras and bring them in for her to try. Anyone have a favorite store or brand? She needs something soft and gentle on the skin.

21

Answers

1 2 3
Gave up bras completely about a year ago. Felt funny at first but i wear loose tops and you can't tell the difference. Comes in handy when you have to have a chest X-ray too. No need to undress as long as there are no buttons or zippers. When your boobs have to be included in your waist measurement who cares anyway.

This is an old post but LOL LOL to the suggestion of a bathing suit top, have you tried any on lately? When I was out shopping I thought I was in a torture chamber rather than a dressing room, anything supportive was also so snug that getting it down over my shoulders was nearly impossible!!
I would suggest if you don't need or care about support any more just go for a camisole, otherwise look for front closure or bras from adaptive clothing shops like silverts.

You might try the upper portion of a 2-piece bathing suit made of an elasticized fabric, like Lycra. This would be like a sports bra, but could just be slipped on over the head without raising arms much. Some bathing suits have cups in them, others don't, so you could choose what might be most comfortable. Rather than buying a brand new bathing suit, and not using the panty part, look at a thrift store and try on several sizes/kinds/colors and see if you can save some money that way.
I believe that there are also camisole tops that have cups in them. Those could be soft and could slide over the head easily.

Walmart or the bay sports bras have the support as well as comfort better than hocked bras

TLC is a great source. Some of the women I know use the camisoles with the built in bra, that works for small and medium size bust, a larger bust may need a little more support. TLC has many styles both front and back closure.

I also noticed that front-closing bras are a bigger pain to put on than the traditional back fastening type. Some years ago I had a statin-drug arm muscle issue that made it impossible to get my hands behind my back so I thought the front-closure would work. Not. Easier to do the close the back hooks in the front and scooch. I look for soft cotton, no underwire, wide straps; several companies make them. I can't read the label on my current favorite; keep meaning to use a extra-fine Sharpie to wire the brand, model #, size, source neatly along the back inside; as the original labels fade over washings.

Walmart try sports bras more elestatic easy to put on

I have severe O/A and have not been able to put on a bra the standardway with a back fastener or do one up that fastens in the front. my solution has been to continue to use a regular bra but put it on back to front, do up the hooks , slide the whole thing round so the cups are in the front. After that I put the boobs in the cups and slip the straps up over my shoulders which I can still manage to do.

There are arthritis bras with velcro closures in front.

Try a bra that is more like a sports bra, wide backed and snug plus get one that clips in the front it will be easier to get on and off.

1 2 3