Hi all. I hoping to hear your thoughts on this.
I've been with my boyfriend for nearly 3 years. We moved to the Texas 2 years ago for his job. He has been let go from his job prior and I asked if he was interested in searching for a job that was in Texas because I had interest in moving there eventually and figured this could be a good opportunity to do so (we were living in the North East US at the time).
Fast forward 2 years here, I purchased a home for us as an investment property but also something for us to live in for a while until we decided to upgrade.
His mother has been showing signs of Alzheimer's and it wasn't until recently he realized how bad it has gotten. He was shielded for the most part by his younger brother and father who currently all live together with his mother.
He now wants to move back (Cali) to be closer to his mother because he doesn't know how much longer he has left with her until she doesn't remember him (how he puts it). This has put a lot of strain in our relationship recently because I dread moving there and really like Texas. I am also tied to this place and can't just sell it as its in the middle of renovations and I'd lose out financially. Houses in California are very expensive. Also I don't know anyone there, and I would be further from my friends and my parents (who live in Florida).
We had talked for a great deal and compromised on moving in 3 years time to California in a somewhat nearby town to his mother (like an hour drive from her) and where homes are still expensive but not outrageous. In the meantime he would go visit as often as he liked. And we could start a family and eventually move there.
Just recently another situation happened with his mom where that compromise essentially went out the window and now he's saying he needs to move as soon as possible. He's also saying he wants to move even closer to her than the reasonable location(s) we discussed prior and these closer locations are very expensive and would be a downgrade in just about every aspect: space, expenses, housing cost, etc. Plus I would have to figure out what to do with my home (and another home I have in North East US).
Im 34, he's 38, I have been with this man for 3 child-bearing years and now I feel like time is against me. I feel like I am really losing out in this situation and he doesn't see how much of a sacrifice it would be to me. I am the type of person that wants to make financially sound decisions and prepare for the worst. He does not have much to his name so he has more freedom to move around and all. We both work remotely.
Any advice on what to do? Is there any hope for us?