Has anyone received bills for ambulance denied by Medicare after death?

I received a bill from AMR that was ordered by Hospice when mom went to the Hospice house. From what I know about Hospice is that everything is 100% covered by medicare. But now this bill comes 2 months to the day of my mom's death? Has anyone received bills after your loved one dies and who is responsible for payment if Medicare denies? Mom is gone and the bill is in her name. What do I do?

15

Answers

I'm about to deal with this same issue. I have two words for all of this: SINGLE PAYER.

If we all lived in Canada, this would not be happening to us.
Reply to ACnobug

Msdaizy, I can only relate your experience to one of my own, somewhat similar. I had an occurance where my wife’s back broke due to extreme osteoporosis as a symptom of her advanced MS. I called 911, she was transported to the hospital by the fire dept (FD) ambulance. About 6-8 months later I rec’d an invoice from the FD for $1075 for the 6 mile ride. My wife has been with Medicare since 1996. I’ll shorten this a bit. I spoke with a Medicare operator who was so frustrated with the prevalence of these bogus charges, she filled me in on the scam that Medicare doesn’t care about. The documentation for the transportation has a code, a single letter to designate the transport to be medically necessary or not. Internally, the FD noted a code for necessity. When their contracted billing company sent the invoice to Medicare, they added another letter after the FD letter. This letter noted to Medicare that the transport was, not medically necessary. The final letter is the only letter Medicare looks at. Medicare bounced it back to them as not covered due to the, not medically necessary, letter. When the bill was denied by Medicare, the billing company was free to invoice the $1075 to my wife for transport charges, due in full. I repeatedly was told the invoice will be adjusted, that their was an error. I was then threatened with collection. They do this as Medicare only pays about $300 as full payment, and Medicare denial, gives them the right to full payment. The Medicare operator told me to google, L.A. times and refer to this situation. I found a well written, and extensive article on this. FD’s across the US, per this operator, are also complicit in this scam. It’s illegal, fraudulent and unethical. These are the needy being scammed and have no voice. The operator said she wasn’t allowed to give me this info, but she didn’t care anymore. I shake with anger when I think of this. I feel your pain.
Reply to lstuscany

I am pretty sure Moms transport from the NH to Hospital and back was paid for before Medicaid. I don't remember any large amt being billed. Call the transport company and explain this was a Hospice thing. It may have been coded wrong. Call Hospice if you can't get it resolved. If found you owe it it needs to be paid out of the estate. If no money then they will have to write it off. You r not responsible.

My husband died May 2017, received several ambulance bills in the mail, didn't open them sent them back with return to sender DECEASED. Now tax time, and I received a letter from the state that I owe this $700+ debt to our City for the Ambulance. I am still paying for bills I can't even afford. And to top it off Health Care coverage is too expensive to get so I got a penalty for not having that as well.
Reply to lristh1230

Medicare refused to talk to me without a document from an attorney that would cost me $750!!!
Reply to MommaHolt

YES!!! The same thing has happened to me with my father! What can be done about this?
Reply to MommaHolt

Just wanted to update this thread because I wanted to get this down so that if anyone ever receives a letter such as this can learn from what I have learned. I did some calling first with Medicare to see why the bill wasn't paid? The gal told me that it wasn't paid because it was not ordered by the attending physician and that it had to be a medically necessary transport. I then told the Medicare person that my mom was dying...and I didn't know how much more medically necessary they needed than that. Anyhow...I called my Hospice social worker, very nice lady who worked with me and mom. Carolyn right off tells me..Oh that's our bill. We will take care of it. So she had me send it to her office and they would take care of the bill. So please if you receive bills that are denied payment from medicare or any insurance. Don't just pay them...investigate and don't hesitate to call for answers. God Bless you all.
Reply to msdaizy

Our hospital requires that you sign the form of responsibility whenever mom or father goes in. SIL found this out after her mom spent months in the hospital and then died. They went after her to pay for her mom's debts. The last time I took mom to the ER, I signed it but I may have done it wrong. I need to word it a certain way. I Googled the info. I think I'm suppose to sign as "Representative for xxxxx Xxxxxx" Something like that. I will need to refresh my memory.

Medicare will only reject coverage if the doctor is not specific enough.

Also, I watch HLN Clark Howard. As long as you didn't sign a form saying that you're responsible, then your mom's debts are hers alone. If they keep insisting you pay, write a letter explaining the situation, make a copy of it, and send it be registered mail (with a return receipt for delivery). Sorry, I get these mixed up - certified or registered. Just remember, any billing that comes along, you are not responsible for it. One caller said that the credit card company kept harrassing him. Even spoke to a family member to tell him to pay. Clark got angry. Later in another episode, he updated us. Clark got the credit card company info, went straight to the top and made a complaint. The bank apologized. And the harrassment ended.
Reply to bookworm

I do have 3 extra original copies..Thanks for the advice. I really do appreciate it.
Reply to msdaizy

MsDaisy - what i'd suggest is that you order several of mom's death certificates.
I'd say at least 6 - 10 of them. Most insurance companies, medical practices, etc require a death certificate in order to close a file. Then whenever you get a bill for her, you send them a note stating that she is deceased and attached is an original death certificate and that you are not responsible for any of her debts and that she died in hospice and has no assets. This will probably stop most of the letters and phone calls. The debt collectors can be relentless so you may have to do this more than once. Keep all this in a file so you don't go loco on dealing with it.
Reply to igloo572