What are the best ways to treat bedsores?

By nutrition and ointment?

29

Answers

1 2 3
Everyone: Please do not attempt to treat wounds without medical advice. The wound should be evaluated by a wound clinic or by as wound nurse. They will decide what type of treatment is needed for the stage of the wound. It is very important to use the right treatment or you may do more harm than good. These wounds can get so bad they can be life threatening.

Update WillieJoe, I posted earlier. My GMA hasn't eaten in 2 days, has been "prescribed" morphine, laying in "hospice" tonight. A little while ago, I "sensed" my Grandpa, who died many years back. I think he's come to take her with him.

One year ago, this pressure sore was pink, the size of a dime. Now it's taking her life.

Serious stuff. Stay on it like you are. They seem so innocent at first, but they just are not. GMA had no other health issues, not diabetic, was active, etc., etc. Bless you for looking for help early. Wish my Aunt had.

If the wound is deep you cannot wash it with soap and water, nor use certain topicals in it like Neosporin not designed for deep wounds. That will only work if it is a surface wound. Alot of these wounds tunnel several centimeters deep into the body and you can only determine how deep it is with a sterile q-tip like swab. The wounds are often bigger inside the body than the outside shows. Using saline to wash out the wound is best, and pack it with saline soaked sterile gauze. I use colloidal silver spray in the wound to prevent infection. Some people pack the wounds with Mesalt and saline.

Wound care is a medical specialty. Make sure you have a proper diagnosis before slathering open skin with products that may cause more harm.

make sure you check if the ointment is to be applied tom open wounds...if not may do more harm than good... Prevention is the best.

I'd get a doctor's opinion for best treatment based on seriousness and location. That said, doctors sometimes prescribe an ointment that is actually referred to on the scrip and at the pharmacy as "butt paste". It is compounded from three ingredients and it works very well. The important thing is to keep using it in the area after healing has occurred to avoid recurrence.

If the person sits up during the day I have heard that a pillow type seat cushion that has a cutout in the tailbone area can be useful. Hope you find something that works out.

I have attended a few workshops with a wonderful geriatrician by the name of D. Hoeffer, in San Diego. He's one of the scholars that started the diagnosis of Geriatric Frailty Syndrome which you can research online. I recall him saying that if a patient is bed-ridden, or inactive, feeding them a lot of proteins (Ensure drinks for example) especially when they have low appetites, is not good for bed sores. In fact, too high proteins will break down the skin.

Wash gently with plain soap and water every 4 hous and apply Neosporin. The rolling every few hours is equally important.

omg... so sad, patients in care centers get such severe bed sores!! i think we should check out our parents or loved ones bodies, when we visit!! not hard to do.

1 2 3