Best pull up's brand(s) for day and night?

My dad is wearing depends now and is still having issues with them leaking. Is it possible they are buying the wrong kind (I'm sorry I am not sure which brand they are using)? It seems to be more of an overnight issue. Do they make a daytime and a nighttime version? Has anyone tried the Depend Bed Protectors? He tends to move around on the bed so I am not sure if these would help. He also has diarrhea - can we just add an immodium pill (are they OTC or prescription?) to his daily pill routine? Would that even help? He takes about 14 different meds currently so I would be concerned about any interactions. He has trouble walking and uses a walker. He can't always make it to the bathroom in time. What products work best for bed protection?

7

Answers

I've just been using the overnight Depends on mom all day and night. They are ok for leakage protection as long as you or the wearer changes them a couple of times a day or more. For awhile, mom had a thing about refusing to change, and then leaking feces everywhere.

I bought a big box of underpads off Amazon made by Medline - it worked out much cheaper per pad than other underpads I looked at, and they work well, plus they go up to 36x36.  (I get her Depends underwear this way too - they're $5+ cheaper per 20 pack on Amazon than from the local stores.)  (Edit:  I have Prime, so free shipping.)

I place the underpads under the bottom sheet on the bed, but the home support workers just put them over top, so they do get all rucked up. I also put them underneath a sheet tucked around the seat cushions of the sofa.

One of our home support workers just said to try puppy pads - she said they're exactly the same thing but much cheaper.
Reply to Dorianne

I'm curious why you/mom chose the overnight pads tiredofmom, the overnight underwear have built in leak guards (although they aren't 100% either).

My mother suffers from heavy urinary incontinence and complained about the urine coming out the leg of her Tena overnite pads. I searched for basically an adult rubber underpants and found them on E-Bay and a demonstration of them on YouTube, unfortunately her hands are weak and she wasn't able to pull them on; otherwise, I believe they would have worked well. I found some stretchy, long legged panties at Wal-Mart and so far they are working pretty well at holding the Tena Pad closer to her body and less accidents.
Reply to tiredofmom

There's a non-slip washable underpad at this website that you might want to check it out, it's under $20 as Depends Bed protector could be really expensive if you think you will be needing them to be replaced every day. Here's the site: astoreformom.com. Hope that helps. I believe they also have another washable underpad that's under $10.
Reply to jo2a0507

Abena brands found on Amazon will give you the details how much they hold. They are tab type. I started mom on overnights and her assisted staff report that the have less Laundry to wash. While online check out washible incontinence bed pads. Two or three for less than $20 should be enough. OTC Immodium should be fine unless his doc has another idea. Sometimes loose stools can be s side effect of one of his meds. As for rolling around you can place 2 protectors across the bed

We like Prevail brand the best. I also use a washable bed pad.
Reply to Grammyteacher

You need to get some washable bed pads, they are much larger than the disposable ones, if you find that you still can't keep them in place you can put it under the bottom sheet. This is in addition to a good waterproof mattress cover, not instead of one.

As for the pull ups, I found Depends to be an entry level brand and not up to overnight once my mom became totally incontinent, I still liked them for fit and comfort through the day but found Tena ovenights much more absorbent. If you need more than that there are heavy duty brands like abena, attends, prevail, tranquility... more than you ever dreamed were available ;)

In my experience none of them are going to do a really good job with diarrhea because they are designed to absorb liquid not contain solids. I wouldn't try giving immodium on a regular basis without consulting the doctor and trying other methods first... there are some great websites with advice from the Crohn's and colitis community.

Have you ever thought about getting a bedside commode?