What are the best options for transportation for seniors who can't drive?

Such as to the grocery store, social engagements, etc ? I know there are programs that offer transportation for medical appointments, but I understand they are limited when it comes to catering to a specific schedule. What are the best options for those who have limited mobility, can't get to a bus or train station, and don't have family members to drive them around? Any information on specific companies/agencies that serve seniors and your experiences good/bad would be helpful. Thank you.

What we ran into with mom is that she wanted an "on call" chauffeur. What the chauffeur offered was a regular day and time for trips at $25 per hour. Other trips with a week's notice were OK if they fit his availability.
She also thought she was not going to have to pay the hourly rate for him to wait for her while she was at the grocery. She was wrong.
In my area the local public transportation service has a division that caters specially to the disabled. They can travel w one companion. The companion's ride is free. The passenger ride is around $5 each way. It is a shared ride service but works pretty well. In my area the transit service is Metro, the division for those needing help is Metro Access and Starz Vans service. Go that route your local transit authority or check your local center for the aging.
Try a ride share service such as Uber or Lyft. The drivers undergo a background check. There is no need to schedule them ahead of time or guess when you need them to return to pick you up. The app is very easy to download on a smart phone and use. The cost is less than a cab. It provides the ability to go where you want when you want without needing a vehicle. All payments are electronic so there is no need to carry cash. They accommodate service animals as well. I am seeing an increasing number of older adults using these services. Often a child or grandchild helps them put the app on their phone and maybe shows them how to use it one time. After that the person uses it whenever they need it! It helps to restore their independence and can less the load on family and friends.
The public transport service in our are has handicap accessible buses that offer a regular ride to major stores. You can also or could "dial a bus" and be picked up at your door.
There are also retired volunteers that make themselves available for longer trips through RSVP
Here in MA if you live in a city that has public trans then they offer what called "the ride" for people with disabilities.. It will pick you up and drop you off for $10..
Where I live in Florida, van services are provided by the county for people who do not have their own transportation and are physically handicapped. Check with the passenger's county. Although I am not physically handicapped, I qualify under the Americans With Disabilities Act, ADA, for the services by being 80 or older. Appointments are needed. If the passenger wants to travel with a companion, a doctor must certify that one is needed.
Where I live (Michigan) many counties provide transportation for specific communities, buses with wheelchair lifts. If there is a senior center where your senior lives, they might be able to provide transportation or direct you to a service that they know is reliable. Also, contact your local Area Agency on Aging. They will know of other sources. The person I use to transport my dad charges a minimum $50 for the medical appointments and he waits with my dad. He also adds on a per mile charge as well. Before you sign on for a service, interview the person who will be driving. I went through four different services before I found the one I'm using now.
Many home help companies will drive elders to appointments, grocery store etc. I've got one set up for my folks and its costs $18 to $25 per hour depending on the job at hand. It ranges from simple welfare checks to full in home nursing care.
Another thing to consider is the mental status of the client. A person with dementia may not be able to plan ahead and arrange a ride, or even be ready at the right time. If dementia impacts the senior's ability to track day and/or time, arranging for a ride will not work.

Consider how the company does pick up. Do they knock at the door, or just wait at the curb? Do they help carry bags or purchases inside? Will they help with any mobility equipment? (i.e. walker or wheelchair.)

A home care helper is a good choice for transportation for people who need assistance with planning, being ready, and mobility assistance.
One question to ask anyone you hire for this service: What is their insurance coverage?