What is the best liquid diet for my 83-year-old mother who is bedridden?

Is there anything more economical than Ensure and other similar products?

25

Answers

1 2 3
I know the question was not about how to prepare but, is there something cheaper.

I just want to put it out there, I bought a ninja blender and it makes whole food smoothies, no juicing or separating, add your liquid and whatever you want and puree. It is pretty awesome and was a quarter of the price of the high quality juicer. I am big on fiber as it keeps us full longer, not to mention all the other health benefits. So if anyone is starting to add smoothies and looking for something that doesn't get tangled up with the spinach, I highly recommend the ninja, bonus it came with a bread mixer.

Just for information.

The "best" liquid diet would be to process a well balanced diet and give that.
I used to make "soups" for my Husband. Pretty much any meal can be made into a soup. How thick it needs to be can be adjusted by adding more or less liquid or adding more vegetables to thicken the soup.
This way you control the ingredients, the herbs, spices and sodium and sugar.
Adding things like potatoes or beans (kidney beans, navy beans and that type of bean) will thicken a soup quickly if you need a thinner soup more veggies that contain less starch.
Eggs can also thicken some soups (like avgo lemono soup) so you get the chicken and the egg and it is thickened more by the rice. Blending this soup it can be as thick as you want depending on how much rice or liquid is included when blending.

Hey Ken, I came looking for your post about alternative drinks. I recently purchased Equate Meal Replacement not knowing this is generic slim-fast. However, it is cheaper and you get more for the money - same nutrition, just not as many calories.   This is 11 ounces, not 8 ounces.  Yes, I do refrigerate any leftovers.

I add a Protein powder and still add the ice cream - so my DH is getting what he needs and I've found a cheaper alternative to Ensure. I wanted to make sure to share this with you.

I also add a teaspoon of Barlean's Strawberry-Kiwi Greens to cover the veggies. I use the Strawberry Meal Replacement and even found Strawberry Protein Powder!

I don't know if it's truly cheaper - but I feel my DH is getting more "bang for the buck."

I will not purchase Boost again since I am able to add more protein using the powder. Boost is darned expensive.  *** Just because they tell you to use 2 scoops of protein, you can add 1 Tablespoon per drink and get an added 5 grams of protein per drink.  And the powder will last you 75% longer too.

Hugs,
Linda

Again - where is Kenneth saying his mother can eat but prefers to drink?

The only post I see from Kenneth is "What is the best liquid diet for my 83-year-old mother who is bedridden? Is there anything more economical than Ensure and other similar products?"

Again I went through all the postings and I only see the initial one from Kenneth? Kenneth has still never said why his mother is on a liquid diet and has never said she can eat foods. I don't understand where all these other "Kenneth" posts are?

You said she can eat but prefers to drink. If she CAN EAT, maybe try to stick with soft foods. Yogurt, applesauce, pudding, avocado, cream of wheat, scrambled or poached egg, mashed potatoes, sweet potato, macaroni n cheese, mashed banana w/apple butter, etc.

The first I received was from DIL who ordered from VitaCost. But then I went looking at Amazon. I did find it cheaper at Amazon because 2 flavors were being closed out.

TigerNut Smoothie Mix 9.3oz - Chocolate by Organic Gemini is what I am using as this is what had been sent to me. According to Organic Gemini, it is only available in Health Food Stores but you know how everyone likes to list on Amazon.

I prefer the Original and got lucky with someone selling out his stock.

I will post this on your page so you don't miss it - I only now learned you asked me.

It depends on the actual medical issues that your mother is having also. If she has esophageal or GI problems, and is more responsive to liquids only, even a GI doctor would recommend ensure up to multiple times a day, for an aged person. Since the mother is bed-ridden, this is a question that should be asked to a licensed physician that can refer to a nutritional expert even. You have received great ideas, but now you have to decide what is best and most cost-beneficial: health vs. saving a few bucks.

Who is paying for the ensure? Ask yourself that question. Also, everyone knows its cheaper to make your own food or drinks, than to buy retail. Don't have to use Ensure every day. Mix it up, but it still offers variety, for example as a backup when groceries are low. Or another similar product that has the nutrients you don't get.

It does depend on the actual medication ailments also. If the doctor recommended this, then there was a reason, because it is a nutritional supplement, not a meal replacement only.
Making your

RayLinSteohens, where do you get the Tigernut Smoothie Original? I've been reading a lot lately about pro pre biotics and dementia.

@Jackie18 - I have read everything twice and maybe I missed it, but I didn't see where Kenneth is looking to make his own meals for his mother; nor did he explain why she is on a liquid diet. He was asking if there is anything cheaper than Ensure.

Having used Orgain, I can attest that Ensure is not the most expensive and Wal-Mart's Equate brand is even less costly. I also disagree about it being the same as a vitamin/mineral tablet. I have never seen a vitamin/mineral tablet with Protein.

Suggesting baby cereal and powdered milk might be cheaper but it doesn't sound even remotely healthy. Where is the protein? Where are the vegetables? If my DH had continued to not eat, I would have turned to Baby Foods (Junior grade) but I have to thicken all liquids for him (dysphagia) and when you add up all the additions, really, the Ensure does look a lot better.

I only use the Ensure as a base to get nutrition into my DH and I add "greens" wherever and whenever possible. I use Protein Shake mixes and they are not cheap! Again, averaging about $1 per serving, just like the Ensure.

I really like Garden of Life Raw Protein & Greens because it is a neutral color and I can add it to his mashed potatoes so he can eat it and I can insure he gets his nutritional needs met. I use Barlean's Chocolate Silk Greens in his cocoa every morning - yes, again $1+ for his breakfast which includes ice cream and the base is an Ensure Plus. I'll guess his breakfast of about 500 calories costs about $2.50-$3.00 per serving. Oh, I forgot to add in his cocoa mix too. Definitely a $3.00 meal at least.

Taking care of Ray for the last few years sort of explains why a Nursing Home is so expensive. I just can't rationalize cutting too many corners when his life is on the line. I use HomeHealthCare and the VA for anything they can and do contribute. It still adds up.

Thank you for  the great ideas I needed this post ..mom has declined steadily since my sister died almost 4 years ago ,.,her appetite is bad and will drink but not eat much ..thank you so much for the replies and I'm so glad you posted this question ..it was a Blessing you brought this up..many prayers headed your way and I love you all

1 2 3