Dad bed wetting every night. What can I do?

My 66 year old Father in law has had many strokes & his wife passed away in October. He is now living with us and is peeing the bed every night when the bathroom is right there. He refuses to do anything for himself. I am very stressed and dont know what to do can someone please help me?

14

Answers

Oh wait, I don't feel this Dad is unwelcomed. We were all pretty unknowing when we first volunteered to take care of our loved one. Dad is presenting challenges most of us have all faced and not everyone is able to handle these types of things. I would never allow anyone to disrupt my family. We can advocate, love and see they get the best care available....it does not have to be in our homes. Our own families should always come first.

My sister was proud to announce she was not a caregiver and anytime some of the personal hygiene that had to be done for Mom, she all but ran from the room. She felt she held our Mother in higher esteem than we did because she didn't take care of her; especially "like that"??? Go figure.

Molicare Super Plus Adult Diapers are the best, holds 1500 cc of liquid. Not really cheap but Walmart ships with no shipping charge. If you are using 3 Depends a night this is a much better option. There are several online med supply sites with really great prices on incontinent supplies for the bed.

Kelly I think you have reached the stage wher you need help because you say you are elderly too and can't manage the daily laundry. Talk to your Dr and whtever adult services you have in your area or go to Public to get an aide in to help you. This is not admitting defeat it is being sensible and protecting your own health. Do you have a plastic sheet on the bed to protect the matress. Your husband can't help what he is doing . Kelly he does not hate you he is just getting more confused and does not want to be bothered or can't even remember where the bathroom is or how to use the toilet. he sounds as though he is progressing more quickly in his memory loss than you think and may need more care than you can manage. Blessings

My husband has early memory loss and is incontinent. I try to get him to go the bathroom every two hours during the day and he drinks nothing after 6:00 pm. He wears 3 depends, a pad and plastic pants to bed and still the bed is soaked right through the pads, sheet and liner. I am elderly myself and cannot rip the bed apart and wash every day. He acts like he hates me when I remind him to go to the bathroom. I am at the point of despair.

My dad started wetting the bed because he didn't want to wake up and go to the bathroom. If he went into the bathroom, it woke him up enough that he'd go back to bed and couldn't go back to sleep. And being 90, his prostate isn't what it used to be, so he goes several times per night. We tried the Depends, which he wears during the day but takes off in bed at night. Finally I went to Walgreens and bought him a plastic urinal. He can use that without getting out of bed. He uses it then dumps it in a bucket beside the bed. Yes, it's gross and it stinks, but I empty it every morning and wash everything so the smell doesn't carry throughout the house. This seems to be the best we can do with his dementia, etc. Otherwise he gets up and wanders around the house all night long.

Is he incontinent during the day?. he is only 66 but the many strokes may have brought on a vascular dementia and changed his behavior Was he always a difficult man? Do you think he is still mourning his wife?. Did he have the nocturnal incontinence when his wife was alive? Has he been checked for a urinary tract infection. Has he had his prostate examined, he may not be able to completely empty his bladder but everything relaxes at night. I am suspicious when you say the soiled linens and pads smell so strongly. Are they left for days on end. If he will wear them Depends will smell just as bad when not properly disposed of. I think you need to think of another home for dad he is clearly an unwelcome guest in your house. You and your kids are hiding, what does your husband say? There are also external catheters that fit like a condom and drain in a bag. They can be easily put on and removed but may leak if not properly fitted. he is still a fairly young man and could live another 20 years or more. Can you face that? it is only going to get worse.

My husband has parkinsons dementa, he wets the bed because of the parkinsons. He takes vesicare every night and wears depends to bed. I have a cover to protect the mattress, put a pad under and over the sheet and one on the other side. It is a queen size bed. I sleep in the other room. Lately he wets the bed takes the pad off takes off the wet underware and depends , puts on clean underware and then sleeps on the other side. Good thing I put a pad under the other side , that was wet too. Yes , I get frustrated. At least I fouind a way to protect the mattress. The little green machine works well should the mattress get wet.

Thankfully I have not had to face this issue with mom. Dad was incontinent and put up a real fuss, getting combative with the nightwear. I don't know what I'd do, I guess I'd go to the doctor to see if there was something that could help him with this, maybe a prostate issue. Other than that, I'd say the waterproof bed pads, plastic cover is a start. I'd see if he'd try to wear the depends. I am sure that there are many experienced caregivers here that will give their most excellent advice. Good luck, I'd be a mess.

He needs adult underwear, like Perseverance said, first and foremost. Your father in law will get to the point where he can't change the bed anymore...then what? You WILL have to do things for this man that you can't even begin to imagine if you keep him at your home, or your husband will.... Read on, you'll get some idea of what will be required of you later... Why wouldn't you want him to go to a nursing home? Nobody in the house is comfortable because of one person...what it comes down to is doing the best thing for everyone, and from what it sounds like the best thing for everyone would be to get this man in a facility, asap, or get home health care and aides to come in and do the dirty work...someone has to, because eventually your fil won't be able... Good luck!

there comes a point , when you need to take charge. i know it will be hard at first. they are like little ones now.most will not understand this. but you are now his mommy . just drop me a line i'll explain