My grandfather has skin tears from me lifting him in and out of bed. The ambulance driver asked me what it was from, can I get in trouble?

I've been taking care of my grandfather for about two years now at home because we were denied Medicaid. He was taken to the hospital about an hour ago because he wasn't breathing right. He has skin tears on his arms from lifting him in and out of the bed and he has bed sores from the pressure of him laying in bed. All of his skin tears and wounds are cleaned and dressed. My question is, can I get in trouble for this? When the ambulance came the guy asked me what are all the bruises on his arms and I said their not bruises but skin tears. Now i'm nervous.

19

Answers

Authentic Australian medical sheepskin is quite effective in preventing bedsores. It is pretty expensive, but worth every penny if you can keep bedsores from developing. I have used these personally and they are very comfortable (cool in summer, warm in winter). If incontinence is an issue, there are urine-resistant sheepskins available. Medical sheepskins must be washed in specially-formulated detergent. I hope this is helpful information and wish your family all the best.

I wouldn't worry about it. My 91 1/2 year old dad did bruise easily and he suffered from skin tears. However, I began giving him vitamin supplements 2 months ago (a good Men's Multi-vitamin along with some natural memory supplements), and his memory is improving along with his skin that is looking better by each day. Also, we do not eat red meat or chicken (just cooked wild salmon with skin on it, dad likes tartar sauce, so I use fat free yogurt with a little bit of mayo, powdered ranch dressing, and relish.) Since January (when I brought dad home with me), he is looking and doing 100% better! Also, I feed dad whole grains (no white flour), smoothies with fruit, etc., and he LOVES it! (He has gained 40+ since I brought him home from the ALF that has an Alzheimer’s and Dementia ward that should be SHUT DOWN because they cannot take care of patients.) Remember, home care for your disabled loved one is far more superior in care compared to any “elderly homes” that are out there!

You are doing the best you can so good luck. Have to say that there is a product that addresses the lifting/safety issues plus the bedsores. Allows a person to "help themselves" in bed transfers and repositioning in bed (for comfort and to reduce bedsore pressure) as long as the person has some upper body strength Google Friendly Beds

Not lean but clean. . Sorry for typos! :)

Ask if you can have a physical therapy or occupational therapy evaluation in the home to teach you proper body mechanics and methods for transferring and turning your grandfather. You can purchase arm and leg protectors which are like leggings to provide protection to his arms. If he can't afford use some fluffy socks and cut the feet off and slide in his arms and legs to protect the areas.
Keep skin dry, turn him every. 2 hours to avoid bedsores while in bed. Ask for a prescription from the doctor for an air mattress and wheelchair cushion. Finally good nutrition to heal skin . Ensure, yogurt fruit smoothies, vitamin c, vitamin d, zinc which all promote healing. Foods high in protein. If he can't eat meats, puréed meats, cheese, milk products, yogurt, non fat dry milk added to soups and stews will increase protein, carnation instant breakfast smoothies, cottage cheese, etc. be sure he gets plenty of fluids.

For skin care in peri area. Keep him clean and dry. Apply zinc oxide to skin as a protection several times daily. For skin tears monitor for bleeding, or change in drainage. If foul smelling or yellow or greenish, call md for evaluation and possible infection. I use tegaderm dressings to keep skin tear lean and protected. Available in local pharmacies. Non prescription. Good luck. And no I don't think you need worry, the paramedic is a mandated reporter and must ask about bruises for his own protection well.

Yes, the air/bubble mattress tops are often used to prevent bedsores - they cost a couple of hundred dollars roughly, but Medicare does pay for them, if the MD or RN's from the hospital prescribe them - so that's a really good option - it changes the pressure regularly. The care of the wounds is very different depending on how much they have developed - with prevention and small wounds being more manageable with care, than more intense as terrim described. Glad you're having all this checked out, best of luck!

My heart goes out to you. This has to be so difficult. You need help, Medicare should be helping you. You should be able to get hospice, or at home health care. I am not an expert, but when my Mother became disabled I called a home health care center and they did the paper work?

You need to have a nurse show you how to treat bedsores and the doctor needs to give you meds for it. A bedridden person must be turned every half hour. A registered nurse (paid for by Medicare) showed me how to disinfect the sores, cut out gangrene, pack it, and bandage. I also suggest you get a bedpad- the kind with peaks- and use it and top it off with one of those cotton "sheepskin" pads. This will help reduce bedsores. You haven't done anything wrong but it is nice that they do check for elder abuse.

My mom's doctor prescribed a pad for her bed from the local pharmacy that Medicare paid for.-, and the pharmacy installed. It had a motor attached that would pump up and inflate one side and then the other so she never had a bedsore. And every time she had to go into the hospital, I was given cream and instructions on how to get the redness off her bottom, so she never had pressure sores. And use lots of pillows to get heels off the bed, a draw sheet to help roll him over, more pillows to keep him in that position. Ask the nurses for help. Good luck.

Hi Miss 37, about your grndfather there are ways to lift him never lift him through his arm ask a nurse what is the best way to lift him. And the bed sore the best way to avoid it is making sure he is turn every 2 hours. Find ways to postion him. I'm sure you are trying your best, just ask for help in the hospital in what can you do to better his quality of life.