Is there a lift that is small enough to fit in a small bathroom and can support the weight of a 190 pound man?

My in-laws live in a home that was built in the 1950's and there isn't much room in the bathroom. They recently remodeled it to accommodate my FIL's wheelchair but there isn't much room between the toilet and the shower. The shower can accommodate a wheelchair but there is a soffett above the entrance to the shower. Don't have the actual measurements though. Does anyone know what the measurements need to be? I know there is a lift that a metal bar of sorts is put into the ceiling; this is out of the question as far as my MIL thinks, so the lift will have to be on a stand. Also, is it difficult to transfer a very elderly man whose legs do NOT support him from the toilet to the lift or the lift to the toilet?

32

Answers

1 2 3 4
Ya, I should make a video because while Medicare pays for it and the pharmacy delivers it, no one teaches you techniques needed for the tricky maneuvers. Its been months of practice but havent mastered removing the diaper in it yet, haha. I will look up the Portalift, thanks!

RR- bedroom products is what I am involved with but I try to offer help anywhere. The "Port-a-Lift" there which is a very interesting transfer device. I talked a long time with the company owner and got a lot of details. Not cheap but actual transfers look pretty easy. Has to be "sitting to sitting" transfers however.

Wow! I could take some lessons from Riversoles, the Hoyer-Pro! Maybe you can make an instructional video sometime!

Thanks Lilly and Friendly, I hoyer Mom into her wheelchair and take her to the kitchen to be with all of us in the evening for dinner. We try and do as much as we can and took her and her hoyer to the lakehouse 3 times this summer.She has no idea where she is but we need to get away sometimes. It was so much work it was incredible but so worth it for a change of scenery. I do not use the gaitbelt because it rides up her sides and breasts and I cant put it too tight and loosen it to sit her. I will try and find you Friendly and btw you two, I just talked to Turn2 and ordered that item today so I should be able to turn her when my husband isnt home now I hope, thanks again!!!!!!!!

RR- you have my sympathies for your situation- it is amazing no one has been hurt yet. I hope you are using gait belts for lifting and that you checked out the better ones from Posey and others. There is clothing that snaps that may help the dressing problem but you certainly have your hands filled. Hardwood floors are important for a Hoyer so I am glad that is working. If you can find me on this website I may be able to offer other ideas.

Reversoles: You are really working very, very hard! I was going to add that you may want to take a nursing assistant class and learn how to utlize those draw sheets better, and drop the lift. Learn how to turn & transfer & dress the Mom with draw sheets. Kind of like in the Turn2 video.

Hello FriendlyBedGuy, my mom is 91 and probably 150 pounds, no lightweight.
She is strong but has no clue how to use it as her dementia is so advanced. She cannot hold on, her hands curl and she cannot understand. She cannot walk, says a few words here and there. So I guess the answer is no upper or lower body strength. I finally learned how to get her straight into a wheelchair with the hoyer by tipping the wheelchair back, yeah! Hoyering her into her recliner and into bed is no problem either. Lets say she wakes up soaked , which she always does, my morning helper and I lift and pivot her right into the wheelchair, then lift her onto her feet and pivot on and off the toilet to bathe her and do her business. Once back in the wheelchair if she needs the bathroom again, I have to do all that lifting again. I have a ranch, all smooth wood floors and the bathroom is just 2 doors down. I could wheelchair her in there and have the hoyer in there, but how do I get off her diaper, then the hoyer sling off to bathe her and how do you get the diaper and pants back on without lifting her by hand? I ordered a U-Sling thats mesh but I had a nylon one before and she seemed unsafe with her entire rear hanging out. Any ideas appreciated, my left arm I am afraid has been ruined for life now from lifting her. Thank You so much! RR

Happyjack: You have my serious respect! I worked at a home once where they were so cheap that it took four of us aides to lift a patient every day. Later the fellow was transferred to a home with a lift - only after one of the aides married him!

ReverseRoles- glad I could help. I don't know version would work out best for you as I met the inventor at a tradeshow and believed it was a great product to help people. I might be able to suggest something for your hoyer problem but need more info. Any upper or lower body strength for your mother? Are you transporting her to a far bathroom or a close commode? How heavy is she?

FriendlyBedGuy, THANK YOU very much for that information. I have been trying to think on how to make something just like that but of course never did. Do you recommend the disposible ones or reusable? I could use this to change her and put the hoyer sling under her. You have made my night, thanks again.
Now, if you can tell me how to hoyer Mom on and off the toilet and remove her diaper and redress her I would be golden! lol THANKS!

1 2 3 4