Anyone done bath renovations for seniors?

hi all - my father had a fall and fractured his hip last August. the day before his fall he had a ct scan. the ct scan came back "suspicious" for colon cancer. He was too sick for a colonoscopy. he just got it done and of course it came back positive. we are aiming for a surgery date of mid December. However. he just was diagnosed with " c. diff" which of course will delay the surgery. he also has exhausted his rehabilitation benefits which means he is coming home next week (regardless of whether or not he we are ready.)
my question is - my house is multilevel so there are steps here and there. we have a bathroom near the study that Dad can (and has) used in the past. the bathroom is tiny and we were wondering about converting it into a step in bath for the elderly. I think this is a great idea as it will benefit my dad AND my mom. has anyone had this done and any tips/tricks to advise? thanks!

29

Answers

1 2 3
Never a truer word Susan - I had my ex (cow bag biatch )DIL make me some scented candles that work brilliantly for the most part - We use lavender ones, and my favourites frangipani or bergamot. I have a little candle holder that i can put on top of a cupboard I have so she that wants to be obeyed at all times can't reach them. That plus some 1940s music - preferably for Mum Vera Lynn and we don't seem to have war too often. If it is going to be a bad one then I let her win. The risks of a fall for her me or both are too great then.

Only once have I had to call upon my daughter for assistance and we wont be doing that again - bathing mob handed just made the minor battle WW3

Phoenix, sometimes bathtime IS wartime. Depending on the person. ;-)

wet room not wartime !!!!!!

Refurbished a bathroom just 12 weeks ago and I wanted a wet room but the costs were prohibitive because of the way the drainage was originally put in plus a host of other things like getting property management permission (I just moved to live in an apartment). However if you can't afford a wartime there are alternatives. You can get very very very low profile shower bases these days which is what I did and I also made sure it was large enough to take a wheelchair both in size and in weight - mine will actually take mum a wheelchair and me should the need arise,

Then because I hate dirty grout and I also hate cleaning it I got a beautiful laminated shower board in bright sparkly red (they have dozens of colours but I wanted something that would make me happy)

Then I got a horseshoe shaped seat so when I was showering her I could get to every part of her - particularly useful for accidents

Then I made sure the shower doors were half height so I could shower her without a) me getting drowned and b) me breaking my back from leaning over more than I needed to

Finally I managed to get a 2.5 yard long hose which meant I could shower her easily from outside the shower

However there are alternatives. You can get amazing slide boards for baths so you put the person on outside the bath and then slide them across and shower them (they come with arm rests and seat belts too for safety - I couldn't get the one I wanted because it is only shipped to within the USA or I would have opted for that but I ma very very happy with the style I have and I know it will serve us until I can no longer care for Mum (physically that is - mentally she is driving me nuts already!!!!0

A wet room sounds like a better idea with you in either a rain suit or bikini or au natural!
I would go for a huge shower with bench rather than a walk in tub because she has to be able to stand while you hose her off. When she can't get out of bed that presents a whole new set of issues.
Place the hand rails where a handicapped person can actually us them rather than conventional places. The one over my slapdash is totally useless as is the one beside the toilet. A person needs to be able to pull themselves up. I have to roll over in the tub and get up on my hands and knees. Not elegant but it works. I do let the water out first in case I slip and drown myself. (The family won't have to wait six weeks for the autopsy drug screen to come back negative)

Or what about when she can't get out of bed??? Oh boy, I thought I'd suppressed that memory successfully.

Aw, cwillie - so sorry you had to deal with that. With the bathroom here at home being so small, I know exactly what you're dealing with. I sometimes bring Mom home from the NH for holidays, etc - and inevitably, she will have an accident that requires cleanup. By the time I get her to the bathroom, it's on her legs, inside her clothes, etc - meaning that I have to try to strip her in that closet-size bathroom. With no space to even stretch her legs out, that means the mess gets all over her, all over the floor, all over the toilet....by the time we're done, she's clean, but I'm contemplating dragging a hose and sprinkler in from outside, putting it in the bathroom, shutting the door and turning it on.

HaHaHa, ironic that this thread should be resurrected this morning. When I got mom up today she was soiled and soaked. Ever try to clean up someone covered in feces from their boobs to their ankles when they can't get in the shower anymore? Oh Lord what I wouldn't give for a proper WET ROOM, because once she was (reasonably) clean there was the entire bathroom to clean and sanitize. It would be so much easier to be able to just hose down everything, her included!

I recently had my bathroom renovated because my grandmother was moving in.I had it done by avonlea renovations. I had them install a new bathtub so that it could be a lot more easier for her to use.I then installed some grab bars next to the tub and had some anti-slip coating applied to the tub.

Walk In Tubs provide people with mobility problems the chance in getting their independence back. There are many models out there and depending on your situation you can select the tub that best fits your health needs.

1 2 3