Our mother was recently placed in a wonderful memory care center. My brother, sister and I are equal POAs for finances and legal matters. How do we go about filing taxes on her behalf? Is it simply a matter of bringing the POA document, along with her tax information to her tax prep professional? And I'm assuming that whomever of the three of us does this, we'd sign the tax documents on her behalf as POA?

Find Care & Housing
Look into IR form 56. I used it last year to sign for my wife. And we still got the refund.
As I read the form 56 it only has to be filed twice. Once to start and once to stop it.
Helpful Answer (1)
Reply to OldSailor

You are correct about bringing the Power of Attorney to the tax prep professional. Let the tax prep guide you on what is needed.

If you feel that the tax prep is not familiar with this, then make an appointment with a CPA.
Helpful Answer (1)
Reply to freqflyer

Ask a Question

Subscribe to
Our Newsletter