Has anyone had a bad experience after calling Adult protective Services?

I have been advised to call on the situation and curious if there are people who have had adverse reactions when they thought they were doing the correct thing...I take care of my Dad who is Bedridden, and (try) to take care of my Mother who has beginnings of Dementia, and have a sibling who lives in the home who is older and in poor health and does not take care of themselves properly.

18

Answers

That's the whole problem in a nutshell, she doesn't want him to leave, he could not take care of himself if he did. His Doctor sounds like a nut-job (10 INR) is ok?? Anything above a 3 should be ER...And he just keeps lying and telling her he does everything he suppose to and that I am just losing it....He needs to have a Case Worker come and explain things to him, and if not that then maybe go somewhere where they can monitor him...

You can have the sibling legally evicted through the city court simply by having one of your parents file.

I have told him and my Mother that, and no-one listens to me! That's why I need to call APS! smh...... :/

Montana, he will be dead by Monday. Get him to the ER.

Brothers Doctor told him today that INR Is ok at 10! Cover bleeding lesions up! lol....not going to be a good weekend!

We have Home Health Nurses and A Visiting Doctor for both Parents. Brother won't give or let Doctors give any information. He was Dx also with Mycotoxins on his skin recently, another infectious skin problem two days ago, script was ready that night just now picked up, brother has open lesions that are now bleeding, doesn't understand the importance of being clean and treating his own diseases...so I am just going to have to do what I think is the best and hopefully I will get some help since the Brother won't listen to myself any other family members are any of the private duty cna's that we have...

Would Dad's doctor write a script for in home health care a few days a week? That might help everyone stay on the right track and give you a little relief. Brother's doc might even help with that.

They come out and do an assessment as to what kind of services are needed. It's been our experience that Medicare and most private insurance takes care of all charges. Good luck! I know how miserable it is to deal with a disruptive influence when you are taking care of someone.

She just forgot that I had told her that he had staph, she was questioning why we all have to be even more careful with hygiene and had forgotten that I had told her about the call. I just have to pray on it and have faith because it is a hard decision to make.

With everything you've shared with us, I, personally, would not make the call.

Odds are they would not remove your brother from the house anyway, Montana. If mom would be upset if you made the call, crushed if they removed her son, and, undoubtedly, also crushed if they removed your dad from the home? That's enough for me.

Remember, APS doesn't care WHO'S crushed. They act swiftly and without mercy if they believe someone is at risk. But really? It doesn't sound like anyone is. Let it go.

Addressing a specific problem you mention -- that your mom forgot to give you a doctor's message -- contact your mom and dad's doctors and instruct them they are to call YOU and not relay messages about your parents' health, lab results, medication adjustments, appointments or anything else to anyone but you. (I assume you have both of their healthcare powers of attorney.) My mom's been on that program for three or more years.

Yes it is a Brother, and no my Mother does not want him to leave, and this home for legal reasons is (suppose) to be his home for several more years. That's where it is hard...his Hygiene is non-existent and he has a very complicated and overwhelming amount of health issues himself. He needed help from his last Hospital stay to help him to understand the importance and the effects of not taking his meds right and did not receive that help (pretty sure he checked himself out) he is on coumadin and does not have a clue what it is really for. Does not follow his doctors orders. Does not tell us when he has something contagious. My Dad has a G-tube so it is vital that we follow pretty strict hygiene rules. My mother doesn't understand and forgets easy, for example she forgot yesterday that they called and told me my Dad has a staph infection on some lesions he has. So if I make this call then she is going to be upset, if they make my brother leave she will be crushed, and if they took my Father out we would lose him pretty quick....it's a hard call...