My aunt is the caregiver and POA for my grandmother but my aunt has gone missing. Now what?

My grandmother is 90 and has Alzheimer's. My aunt is 68 and has been her full time caregiver in my grandmothers home. about 48 hours ago she disappeared. She has a paid assistant that relieves her for 4 hours a day for her to go to her home and run errands. She never returned. The assistant has filed a missing persons report and authorities are searching for her. There have been no leads in that as of yet. The assistant believes that my aunt may also be suffering from Alzheimer's, although no one else was aware of this. My aunt and grandmother live in southern California and my father and the rest of the family all live in the midwest. It is about 29 hours to my grandmothers house from my Father's home. My father has multiple health issues that prevent him from traveling. We do not even know where to begin. Looking for suggestions as to where to start in this process. My father has a copy of the living trust but has not read it in years... he believes he may be a backup POA, but is unsure. It is all made more tragic by the disappearance of my aunt and the worry over her. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I think it is their desire to relocate my grandmother to the midwest so that there will be a support network there to help care for her.

21

Answers

1 2 3
I thought that the police took the report and starting looking immediately, but it wasn't until today that they searched her house for clues. That was my understanding of it.

I can't imagine how frightening this would be. I sure do hope the missing lady is found and is okay.

That is strange that the police waited until today. Usually if someone asked for a "wellness check", the police are at the house almost immediately.

The police entering the Aunt's home almost a week after her disappearance is what's wrong with the system of helps. They should have gone inside right away.

This lapse in taking immediate action has always bugged me when watching NCIS, the investigation goes this way, what is wrong with people that they cannot take action to help elders, when the need is now????

If this were my grandmother, from a distance, I would request emergency placement for her until other arrangements could be made to get her nearer to you.
Alzheimer's is nothing to mess with, and a paid caregiver cannot be family and make necessary decisions for grandma.
You might want to obtain the phone number of a neighbor, so that you can ask what they see going on at the house of your grandmother, someone who might know her, but be low key, not giving out too much information. ????

One of the most difficult things for me has been sharing the information to the persons with the ability to act, but they just cannot, and nothing is done, when an earlier intervention could have averted real tragedy, and yes, in my experience, even death of the person requiring help and intervention by family.
Sorry your father is sick.
Praying for the best outcome for everyone involved.

Maybe it is time to send a qualified family member to get Grandma.
I have researched medical transport by ambulance, and the cost is prohibitive, thousands of dollars. How old are you, can you go, or anyone else instead of your father, someone who can move a person out of their home? Can you drive her?

Keeping your family's privacy in mind, can you post an area, such as L.A. County,
San Diego, Orange County, etc. so that someone can look up the nearest senior center/Area on Aging-or, you can try calling the supportive services department of her local senior center if you can google it yourself and find it online These people can recommend services that the already know are reputable in the area.
Can you call the caregiver/assistant to recommend someone, or the agency where she works can recommend movers.
There are different ways to approach this: One is the private way, just go get her
and Two is the get social services involved way, in which you will need a document every time you turn around to breathe. There are other ways.

Thank you all very much. Still no leads on finding her. No bank activity since last Thursday. She has no credit cards or a cell phone. The police entered the home today and nothing was found. I will ask my father to please call protective services for the time being. Thank you all so much for the advice! I have sent lists of elder care attorneys in so cal to him and have looked into transport services that could possibly bring her to the Midwest. I have tried to do as much searching and leg work for them as possible.

Glad to hear your grandma has someone with her - I imagine your aunt could have needed to run away for a couple of days - I know I want to nearly every day

If police are involved then they will know how to search for her whereabouts -
I'll pray for her safe return -

Keep us posted and if you like send me a private message - what part of SoCal are they located? If your dad cannot locate a copy of the POA then you may need to get a local attorney to advise you

Reporting my posts to AC so that they can be removed to protect your privacy when auntie is found. Take care of your family!

Call Adult Protective Services for your grandmother, start there.

btoben,
Since the aunt's disappearance may be on the news with identifying information, it would be safer to just say she is found when she has been found.
If you are worried about privacy issues, you can change your screen name and return with a new question, not mentioning your missing aunt or that the area is Southern California. AC administration can assist you with this. Their policy is not to have personal details for your protections. No worries, everyone here are really good people, very few trolls or spammers. You will be fine.

1 2 3