Assisted living and Medicaid. Any advice?

My 80 yr old mom is currently in a rehab facility (after falling 3 weeks ago), she spent 3 days in the hospital (after being admitted from the ER), then transferred to rehab after her hospital stay.
As some of you may know my mom has no other assets other then get home which she has a reverse mortgage on.
Her limit (to draw anymore funds from her home is down to $48,000).
After that is gone, she has no other $ other then her paltry SocSec ($700/monthly).

My mom wants to desperately go back home to live but her imbalance issues are still what's preventing her from being able to walk unassisted & I am afraid she will be in danger if she goes back home (she lives alone) w/her small dog.
I live nearby but must work 6-7 days a week so I can't be there w/her for anything other then making daily stops to clean her house, do laundry, run errands, etc.
I don't not have a large income myself in order to help pay for 24 hour live in nursing care & even if I did, her house is not set up for that.
Would my mom be able to move into a "senior" building or is that called "assisted living" building so she can be in a smaller (apartment, since her house would be too much for her to maintain) and most important have a daily home visit from someone who works in that building?
Would Medicare and/or Medicaid (she has both) pay for that?
Thanks to all who respond.

37

Answers

1 2 3 4
You are welcome, sir.

got a call yesterday from our regional council of governments which houses our commission on aging, area agency on aging, re hub's aunt and uncle, or rather specifically about uncle, wanting to know who his primary caregiver was/is, which is/has been his wife, as far as they live by themselves together, alone, in the sense, that, at least, for the most part they have, except that recently their grandson has/had been living with them - again - but actually not sure now - long story - but has not been taking care of them, which she asked if they had at least 20 hrs./wk. of help, that "if" they did, they might be able to pay for 10 hrs./month of that, but not sure if they can get it if they aren't already getting the 20 hrs/weekly help but then that depends on how "help" is defined; she asked is wife was taking him to the doctor - no, nor do I, though I was at one point, but as that was find out it was taken away - going to the grocery; she was, but ended up telling them about her fall and was asked if services had been requested for her separately - know they always talked about them together but she was specific yesterday - understand she had called individually but she always phrases it as help for him, so...she was going to present her situation - with this fall - now to her supervisor and supposed to getting another call Monday, so....

hangingon, this program does seem to be available in your area

Thank you for prayers. I find that even a concerned mention of someone results in a Spirit sent prayer. Physicians describe Christy's manifestations of FTD as hellish but I would rather deal with her all than the 'help' agencies for a moment, truly.
I am at peace though, because I know His name. His actual name.
Psalms 91:14

Ellerysir: Praying for you, sir. That must be h##l on you!

The state administering program gives a 'capitated', a set amount for each person to the health plan. UHC is a popular one. Say they get $5000 a month to provide services to each person. 100 people is $500,000.
For HBC, they are to compare cost of nursing home to keep at home. The state tells UHC what services to provide, such as PT, attendants, homemakers. UHC is contracted to provide authorized services up to that amount of 5000 per person. It is possible that a hard case, needy client, will use all of that, but UHC makes that up with the client that only needs $1000 service.
UHC get to keep the other $4000.
Of course they will try to deny or limit services such as attendant care. They are not allowed to, but they are finding ways by manipulating definitions and clauses, and mostly by not informing you of how it works.
In my state, the case manager is an employee of the plan provider.
Conflict of interest much?

Debdaughter we live in a burb of Chicago.

I didn't say much more because I don't know where in IL you live

hangingon, I think Ellery's trying to say you might have to fight this; happened with hub's aunt and uncle over PT but couldn't get her to understand it either, be glad to try to help if you can explain what you don't understand

Yes, Sunnygirl exactly what you mentioned.
I'm thinking they expect me to stay w/my mom or care for her the other hours or times that the aid is not w/her & that's just not possible because I work so many hours & won't be able to get any sleep if I go to stay w/mom during the 3rd shift (12am-8am).
So this has me very concerned.

1 2 3 4