Can an assisted living facility give you a new price without a 30-day notice?

The assisted living facility sent a letter saying they are changing to a point system for the extra care costs. Once they evaluated my mom, her price had gone up $2100. Then they wanted us to start paying that new amount within 10 days. Is that right? That is a huge jump!

19

Answers

Mia, I hope you will update us with what happened. That is really a huge increase and not sufficient notice. Hoping you were able to negotiate things with them.

If she is in a group home. The group home owner can do what he/she wants. Always ask and read contract. Hope she's not in a group home.

I hope you read your contract. The price can be locked in as long as she lives there, depending on the contract.

If you happen to be lucky enough to live in or near Mt Pleasant Tx, I suggest checking out The Lodge Assisted Living and Memory Care. They took my dad, who could barely get himself from his bed to the bathroom, for 110.00/day. They gave him his pills, checked in on him every two hours, day and night, and took good care of him. They are a beautiful facility, only two years old, and have a memory care wing (cost more then 110.00 a day though but still reasonable). They also have aging in place, meaning that, dad could stay there even if he got worse and needed full care though costs would go up then.

They did not charge extra for extra things for my dad...it was all inclusive. They were great! Sadly my dad was only there for 6 weeks before he passed away. He was just really beginning to enjoy it. He especially loved the Bingo!  He won three weeks in a row (he teased that he didn't think anyone else could see as well as he did). ;-)

Story...shop around. Prices vary greatly from place to place.

I was promised 4750/mo. for my mom IF private pay 18 mos. Then qualify for Medicaid or leave. Sell her property, get VA benefit, savings till all = "0". The 4750 by the manager was NOT in writing so corporate over ruled it and at 4 mos. it went to 5500/mo. The deposit 750, move in fee 350, move out fee NO damages by her 750. It IS ALL ABOUT MONEY. Unfortunately the sign the contract meeting, is sooo FAST, you don't have time to read those 20+ pages thoroughly. Ask for them in advance of signing, to review. If they don't comply, just take a couple hours in their lounge or office to "slowly-thoroughly" read them. Result= move mom at 4 months to less appealing place, less $ but BETTER CARE and management, worse food. You have to weigh the differences as to what you and your loved one can put up with, and be there very often to regularly monitor their care AND MEDS report!!!

My Mom's AL has levels. My Mom is a four. She needs help bathing, dressing, toileting, meds and making sure she gets to meals. It cost her an average of 4500 a month for room and care. I have enough left till July. Soon will be talking to medicaid. All we have in my area is a couple of AL the rest of the facilities are long term nursing homes.

We got 30 days notice of rent increase, but level of care charges can go up or down as the patient's need changes. Read the contract.

I agree! And every time my husband and I even go to the store, several items have jumped up several dollars! Atrocious! And those are just toilet paper, food, drinks, and other items necessary for daily living. EVERYONE seems to be out to steal every penny you've got.

*Arleeda* bless your heart for your thoughts and concerns in your post. I understand. I fear our age group will have nothing to look forward to but more worries and concerns.

If you are not able to visit your elder every few weeks to get correspondence like this, then please arrange to have a courtesy copy sent to you via email. I only got to visit every few months (lived in another state) and during this time there was a monthly increase at her ALF of $150 -- that is a substantial amount. Plus, every little service was tacked on charged on the 1/2-hr system even if it was just a 5 min task. No idea how they could justify it. My parent was reluctant to move just because it was "so hard to do." However, after the 2nd time a price hike occurred I had to move my mother back to a regular apartment. It's staggering how fast the savings were drained. It's shameful how the plan for a reasonable retirement with Social Security savings could be so dwarfed in the current cost of living .