ALF back charging for personal care. What do I do?

Just got a bill for $10,000, never notified or discussed. ALF recently changed ownership. No new contract. Mom's status hasn't changed. I have a meeting with them tomorrow. I am livid. Mom's been there for 4 years. Advice?

22

Answers

1 2 3
Our ALF contract says (paraphrasing) " if we think your parent needs an aide at night so he doesn't wander to another floor, we will hire one and charge you, we don't have to tell you until after the fact." So, read your contracts carefully!

Garden that is exactly how I feel. It is really the stupid stuff. AL section of facility had cable TV. My uncles only pleasure was watching the ball games. I asked how to go about getting him cable and they told me it was not possible in the SNF. I called Comcast and they told me the whole place is already wired and all I needed was a different box. I was so annoyed that I didn't even tell them I did it. I was in the room when the cable guy came, switched boxes and the bill was sent to my home. I really don't even know if they did it. This was years ago and I was paying about $5,000.00 a month to share a room. It really is exploitation when you think about the size of the room and that the only time he had interaction with the nurse was to give him his meds. Everything else was done by an aid.

A mere pittance compared to your $10,000.00!

Patrice, it's this kind of overcharging and exploitation that I find really offensive. Sometimes it seems as if you're battling a group of people who are determined to exploit the patient, but they're not even the medical staff who are providing the real care.

I think one of the worst examples was $14.00 for a tube of chapstick (containing petrolatum) sold at grocery stores for about $2.00 (+/-) for someone on oxygen who can't use anything containing petrolatum.

In his room they still tried to make me pay because they opened the pack and no one else could use it. The place treated him well but I was really annoyed that each month the bill had mistakes. Some months it was less then $10.00 but it still annoyed me to no end.

When my uncle was in SNF as a private pay patient (he was in a financial position to pay the bill) i was amazed when I received the first bill. There were charges of $5.00 for soap and $5.00 for shampoo for each shower that he was supposedly given. I did not have soap and shampoo there. They charged for pull ups and a few other things. Nursing home doc changed his Meds and the next month i was charged for the old and new meds. Needless to say I bought him soap and shampoo . ironically they used the same one bottle for soap and shampoo and it cost him $5.00 a squirt. They charged him $50. For a bag of no name depends. When I complained because I had depends on ther

The only story I have to share is about the issue of hospital admission vs. observation - different type of facility, different issue. It was a situation of going the somewhat arduous route of challenging a Medicare decision vs. paying outrageous exorbitant charges by the hospital for medicine because of the "observational' classification.

Thank you Babalou. And I'm posting for more feedback. I'd like to hear about other stories if I may. It may help others.

Wonderful news! Give them credit for ethics and honesty, or whatever supported their admission of a mistake. Sounds like they're upstanding business people.

It's also reassuring to hear about a good organization; there are so many horror stories of ones that aren't.

And it's also especially helpful to know how a situation was resolved in case some of us find ourselves in a similar predicament.

Thanks for sharing.

Mystic, so glad you got this resolved to your satisfaction. This is a good example for all that conducting business in a business-like manner is the best way.

1 2 3