After Mom got confused and fell at AL, the Director locked up all her pills for days without telling me or her Dr. What can I do to prevent this?

Mom has both narcotic and non-narcotic prescription medication and I fill her weekly pill dispenser and stop by almost every day. The Director is convinced she falls because of the pain meds. Mom has some memory problems and bad balance and uses a walker. When I was out of town for a week, Mom fell again and the Director searched Mom's room and locked up all of her meds, forcing her to quit cold turkey, without medical supervision. She didn't tell the AL nurse, me, or Mom's doctor. I didn't find out until Mom called me in pain. I have tried turning over Mom's meds to the AL to distribute so there is no question of over-medicating on pain pills, but don't trust them now. The Director would find some fault with the Rx (e.g. doctor said "1-2 pills every X hours as needed" and AL can't have an option; Rx has to say "1 pill ever X hours", etc.), so the Director would pull the pills off the cart and lock them in her office so Mom couldn't get any pills. Again the Director didn't call me and say "there is a problem with the Rx, it needs to be written differently." Instead I find out from Mom when she is in pain that the pain pills have been locked up again. What can I do to improve communication with the Director (who won't return my calls) and make sure Mom gets her medication as prescribed?

14

Answers

Joint commision on accreditation. They can pull their license.

I am sooooooooooo glad you moved Mom. Bravo. I couldn't trust that director again

I agree that the director is probably an addict. Now that your Mom is safely out of there, I'd complain to absolutely everybody, especially whoever handled Medicare accreditation. Call whatever insurance she was using, the elder abuse folks, the long term care ombudsman, etc and tell them what happened. The reason is, if you don't put a stop to this person, she will continue to abuse her next patient. If this ALF is owned by a corporate headquarters (like Brookdale or other), I'd be sure to complain to them as well. Good job on getting her out of there. I'm betting the huge increase in points was retaliatory.

Glad you moved your mom out.

Did it occur to you that the Director may have an addiction to opiates and is stealing your mom's meds?

You were smart to move her ASAP. The Director was overstepping her boundaries by quite a bit in my opinion; I wouldn't have trusted her either. And good for you for filing a complaint. Maybe someone will look into their practices - they sound VERY fishy to me.

SoFrustrated, I'm so glad you've moved your mom. Trust is a hard thing to get back. It sounds as though the former AL did a very poor job of assessing mom's needs when she moved in. Retaliation? Hard to judge. But moving her was the best solution. Happy 2015!

Just an update for all of you who have been so helpful: I had a meeting on a Friday with the AL Director, her boss, the new nurse practitioner on staff, and a few other staff members to discuss the problems. I very clearly stated to the AL Director that I did not trust her and communication needed to be better. I finally got a very grudging apology from her and we all agreed to communicate better going forward.

On the following Monday, I had a meeting with the staff regarding her care plan, and they said they were increasing her from 1 care point to 11 care points a month ($1100) because they were going to take over dispensing all her drugs (with my blessing) for 4 care points, 2 points because Mom was "verbally abusive," 1 point because she used a walker (which they knew when she first moved in), and more. I felt it was in retaliation for my complaining and gave notice I would be moving Mom as soon as possible.

On top of that, I found out from the med techs that sometime after the Friday meeting, the AL Director added 19 narcotic pains pills to the med cart that she apparently had locked in her office since the Thanksgiving debacle. (I don't know how many pills were taken from Mom's room at Thanksgiving and don't understand why any were not locked in to the med cart.) I stormed over and asked the Director why, and she said "I was monitoring how many your mother was using and restocked the cart when I thought it needed." I told her I thought that was inappropriate and was going to file a complaint with the State Department of Health. I wonder if she took any of Mom's pain meds?

I found a new AL facility that seems to be a much happier place, and moved Mom the day after Christmas. Wishing you all the best in 2015. Thank you for listening and caring.

The AL Director is way off the beam. My first thought is she is addicted and using Mom's drugs for herself. I'd move Mom out of there so fast there'd be skid marks out the door.

What the 'blank' is going on with these facilities. My mother is in a 'good' facility, but it seems nobody knows anything about what's going on!

Is it apathy on the part of those working there? Is it lack of one actual coherent reg?

I have to call doctor who came in and without my permission, order Ativan for my mother. Why? I was told by 'nursing' that it was because three weeks ago (THREE WEEKS AGO????) she refused to go to rehab! Well, three weeks ago she had a lump the size of a plum on her head and had just cracked her pubic bone.

I'm getting fed up! One person says this, other person says that. Meeting yesterday was all 'We'll talk, you'll listen"...that didn't go over well because I don't listen, I ask questions.