This question has been closed for answers. Ask a New Question.
Keeping in mind that I'm not a lawyer, a lot will depend on her financial situation, the state she lives in, and her marital status. If she doesn't have the means to pay the bill herself and needs medicare to pay some of her costs, she will have to sign away everything except for a couple thousand for "spending money" of personal items. That is what happened to my best friends mother in Ohio. They had sold her home about 2 yrs. before she applied for medicare, and dispersed the money among the children, but it didn't work. She was denied medicare until the kids could prove they spend the money they received for the house entirely on her. The kids had to either foot the nursing home bill until that money had been paid back to her, or care for her in their home until they could prove they'd spend all that money on her care, which is what they did (talk about a paperwork nightmare). It took them nearly a year before she was eligible for medicaid. It's just a good thing her house wasn't didn't sell for all that much or the time she was ineligible could have been much longer.

If a spouse in involved though, and he lives in the home, It could be that she may not have to sign over the house as long as he lives there. Or they may have to sign it over but he will be allowed to continue living there (state to state differences).

It's best for you to consult a senior care lawyer. A stop at the local area for aging, or a senior center should be able to give you some guidance there.

Good Luck
Helpful Answer (0)

This question has been closed for answers. Ask a New Question.
Ask a Question
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter