Are there any social security benefits available to caregivers of elderly parents to help with their out of pocket expenses?

Someone told me that Social Security offers a montly "fee" to family members who are caring for their elderly parents at home. Is this true? If so how would someone apply for this assistance?

53

Answers

1 2 3 4 5
I have a young child, 6 years of age... AND a father with dementia... The wife and mother passed away in January from back surgery resulting in a blood clot...I have a lady who will care for both parties for $8.00 per hour... Is there any help available for caregiver services

I'm a caregiver to my friend who is collecting social security already because of heart problems. I have been caring for him for the last 2 years and was wondering is there any benefits or extra help I can receive? If any suggestion I would appreciate it. Have a safe and bless day!!

70rAnDy228, Really? You just posted 20 minutes ago on your own question, you damned us and signed off. Give up now! The troll police will be after you. Don't be such a trouble causer. Captain, my Captain.

Don't know what you want here. Please be more specific.

I care for my disabled mother that has multiple critical illnesses and was told that I could get benifets for taking care of her im also in school

Bobby - your in MS, right? if daughter, who is your caregiver, is getting SNAP (food stamps), she is going to have to get some sort of documentation that she is a caregiver to you for 20hrs a week otherwise she will be removed from food stamps in MS. Gov Bryant just signed into law last week that in order for anyone over 18 able bodied to get food stamps they have to work 20 hrs a week.
No work, no SNAP. They must have a 20 hr a week job & it does not have to be one based on your previous salary, or education, or skill level. It goes into effect this spring.

Caregivers need to get a document to verify that they work 20 hrs - although unpaid - as a caregiver to continue getting SNAP. It's looking like 30-40% of those currently on MS SNAP will be removed & the food networks /food banks are looking at a real crisis this summer for folks without food. The Area on Aging in your area will have info as to how she can get the documentation to show caregiving as in-kind work.

If she gets food stamps, she needs to deal with this. It's important!

Repeat of frequent flyer post above.
that’s a very common question asking about being paid. Majority of grown children do not get paid for caring for their parent, unless the parent is financially able to pay from their own pocket. If a parent can afford to pay you, the parent might as well hire a certified trained caregiver allowing you to keep a full-time job.
If you live in the States, see If your parent qualifies for Medicaid, the State might allow a trained Caregiver come in to help for a couple hours. Also check to see if your State is one of those States that has a “Cash and Counseling” program to help you out, it‘s worth looking into. Note that each State has their own rules, regulations, and programs.
Here is a link to take you to the Medicaid portal for Mississippi benefits, programs, and eligibility requirements.
https://www.medicaid.gov/medicaid-chip-program-information/by-state/mississippi.html

Can i get a check for daughter being my primary health care giver ? i reallly n aeed to know? can u send me some informatiom

valkmurph, that’s a very common question asking about being paid. Majority of grown children do not get paid for caring for their parent, unless the parent is financially able to pay from their own pocket. If a parent can afford to pay you, the parent might as well hire a certified trained caregiver allowing you to keep a full-time job.

apply for social security benefits due taking care of my elderly mother

1 2 3 4 5