My mom was on Aricept years ago but it caused nausea and didn't help anyway. Is there anything else out there that improves cognitive functioning?
She doesn't have dementia or Alzheimer's but her cognitive functioning and memory is on a rapid decline and it's a little scary when she talks about people being present at family events who had not yet been born at the time she is speaking of. It also seems to take her awhile to process that these things couldn't have happened since they hadn't even been born let alone married. Is this the start of something? She's 91 yrs. old.

Google the Bredesen protocol. It's pretty cool and can help.
Reply to Windsurfer

My mother has been taking Exelon 3 mg 1 cap twice a day taken with food for about 15 years. This med has helped her tremendously. She is able to carry on a sensible conversation, she knows her name and birthday, she knows her family, she puts her two cents in when we are in a discussion. She has declined over the years somewhat but I am happy that she still knows us and knows who she is. She is as pleasant as can be, a thank you for doing even the slightest thing for her, but she has always been pleasant, I am hoping in the future there will be a cure for this dreadful disease.
Reply to earlybird

Thanks so much to all who have responded. I had no idea about the video games, I was just showing her things on you tube to keep her occupied. I will try it. I'll ask her nurse practitioner what she thinks of namenda. I also got her an occupational therapist who is helping as well. I thank you all for your generosity, it is most appreciated.
Reply to Mikkimball0664

Not to my knowledge. Aricept only helps slow down the process, that is it. When it gets to a certain stage it is like rolling down a shade, it moves along quickly. This is a disease with no cure. I am sorry to hear this about your mother.
Reply to DollyMe

hola. hi there. mi father is blessed so far. He has not been at any time, of the day or night, feelin' a tad bit nausea (at all) for past 2 and a 1/2 years on the best there (for him) NAMENDA..
Aricept etc.al.,
it works and is helping fighting the progression of worsening, thank the LORD.
Dr. mentioned same, recently so again for him it works. I can't say in your case with your beloved parent. I read she does not have ALZ, DEMENTIA? Hmmm, I would say just speak again to her dr. and i pray he has something to help her, and may god bless you and glad you're there for her, chica. God will bless us, who are there for our beloved parents.
Adios.
Reply to MiAdvocacy8600

Aricept and Namenda don't make memory better, they just slow the worsening of it for a little while. I know of nothing that makes it better.
Reply to ArtistDaughter

I do not know of any drugs that actually are PROVEN to work, and I would just love to know, because there are so many on the forum, what medications people are finding help their elders with their dementia, even if just anecdotal evidence.
MiAdvocacy8600 Jul 10, 2019
hola.
it is helping my father praise the lord.

day in, day out and i am glad, as my mom we are his full time regular daily caretakers and had dr's even say it is doing him well by helping to fight the progression of worsening. He so far is doing well, praise God. Just praying it continue! so far so good for 2 and a 1/2 years since diagnose winter january 2017. god bless you all.
(1)
Thanks for the info. The Aricept never helped and it made her sick--waves of nausea. She's not always like this, she kind of goes in and out--at times very lucid, and also very sensible with regard to logic. But at other times, doesn't remember things she should be remembering. I don't think she could grasp the concept of video games(wow I had no idea) however I have been playing cards with her and she has caught on to simple games( that she once played when younger ) fairly quickly. I think that's probably as close as we're going to come to video games since she can't even grasp the notion that a curser on a screen is pointing to what I want her to look at. I have to put my finger on the spot for her to see what I want her to look at.
Thanks so much for the information
Reply to Mikkimball0664
needtowashhair Jul 11, 2019
Try a Simon. You know, that 80's kids game. Flashing colorful lights and sounds are stimulating. It involves hand eye coordination. It engages cognition through the use of spatial memory. And most importantly, it encourages rapid response. Which is the key to how video games work to improve cognition in the elderly. It's really not the particular game, it's how fast they have to respond.
(0)
You say she doesn't have dementia or Alzheimer's, but what you are describing is is dementia or Alzheimer's.

There's also namenda. Generally they are used in combo. Don't expect a miracle from either drug. If you want to be on the cutting edge, video games have shown to improve cognition. Which makes sense. Since the brain is like a muscle. Use it or lose it. Video games exercise the brain. Hand eye coordination motor skills also don't hurt.

On the bleeding cutting edge, you can try an antibiotic to kill bacteria in the brain. There's a correlation between dementia patients and bacteria in the brain. Also you can try oscillating the brain at 40hz which some research has shown to reduce amyloid plaques and thus symptoms of dementia.
Reply to needtowashhair