Taking care of my mother 24/7 by myself, need a break. She has daily hallucinations and 99% of time cannot hold a conversation. I am 5 our of 6 children with no daily support from siblings. I can usually get one of them to take mom for a week once a year while I take a vacation with the “girls”. My immediate family take mom on all family vacations and have been there for me. I am at the point where I now realize I am abusing my children by continually asking them to help me with my mom. My mother thinks my son wants to marry her and have children. He is so unnerved by this that he won’t hug or kiss her every time he comes over anymore. It’s taken time, but he at least will talk to her now. I will not ask him to be alone with her for this reason. My mother thinks someone steals from her whenever she misplaces things. She wants to always be with me, never wants to be without me even to visit her other children. I take her to the store, appointments with me every time I leave the house. It’s a bit much.

This question has been closed for answers. Ask a New Question.
My mother has been seeing a neurologist and her GP doctor. She is taking citalopram for anxiety, donepezil for cognition and memantine for hallucinations. I believe the neurologist deals with a lot of Alzheimer patients. My mother doesn’t share all of her hallucinations with everyone just me. The hallucinations she shares are the “sticks” (or what I think are satellites that follow her around and talk to her). It’s funny that she thinks these hallucinations are real but she knows not to mention them to some people.😜
Helpful Answer (0)

She would need day care that would specialize in people with Alzheimers. I know where I volunteer that I has an Adult Day Care they don't have members with Alzheimer/Dementia.
Helpful Answer (1)

I've read a lot of positive comments about adult day care, that said I think that your mother needs to have her paranoia and hallucinations under control or they won't be able to take her. There may be medications that can help with that, is your doctor a gerontologist or experienced in dementia care?
Helpful Answer (2)

This question has been closed for answers. Ask a New Question.
Ask a Question
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter