Are ombudsmen genuinely impartial when dealing with definitive neglect in a NH or are they just supposed to be impartial?

Any info in dealing with this would be appreciated.The involved family fears the NH will further neglect the client as it will be obvious that its family that filed concerns.They fear reporting for fear of reprisal and or a lack of assistance for the family member. Thanks!

22

Answers

1 2 3
Pamstegma no offense intended, however what does not having any information on the person reporting the problem have to do with anything? Perhaps you perform your duties differently than I do, the persons complaining in my experience are the clients themselves....

What are the specific concerns downerdebbie? What actual proof do you have of occurrences; do you have names, dates, and witnesses to occurrences? As an ombudsman I have access to a Legal Dept. should actual charges be supported.

downerdebbie, I am sorry you cannot pay your rent without money from mom, and I'm sorry you got her to change her Will when she has dementia and I'm really sorry it landed you in court. So let me give you some good advice. Visit mom when you can and take your meds before you go there. Try to stay calm, keep the visit short, no more than an hour. Smile and hold her hand. Beyond that, do not fuss over anything. You are down to very little time left. Make the best of it.

Moonflower, as Ombudsmen, we do not have any information on the person reporting the problem. We just look in on the patient and talk to him/her and be sure the patient is satisfied with services, comfortable, well fed and in a clean room. It's all about what they want and need.

Thanks, Moon flower for all your work to serve others.If I came to you with specific concerns and prior info FOR THE PATIENTS BEST POSSIBLE CARE, would this be investigated with as much concern as if reported by someone charged but not convicted of neglect? Thanks

I am an Ombudsman. My responsibility is to my elder client.

Daughter of 1930, agreed. My relative wants to die at home but thanks to a fabricated story, I have lost my pos and mpoa.shes in hell.not only is the NH denying her med she was taking upon admission and many months later they put her on benzodiazepines rather than the antibiotics she had with her on vacation.the docs told me no benzos for her.she is on an array of psych drugs.no one listens because they took my rights away.when I bring up the drugs they argue and end the visits.so????????thanks for your post.IF You MUST USE A NURSING HOME, presence of family and friends gets you better care,cheap or expensive,same principle works. Know medical information and they don't like it!

Christine73, thanks for your helpful,thoughtful advice/ response.There is no one else that has seen the neglect making it impossible to file with any nuance of anonymity.Hence my hesitance to contact an ombudsman.would the media be better? She's got a state appointed guardian who cuts my visitations when I bring up the issue,....shes neglecting her so I am angry because she's being denied these meds.in 2 wks she would be agony free.it tears me up

Hey guys. Your posts have been very valuable to me. I am taking care of my mother and all I have to do is call her doctor and he helps me. I'm not putting her in a nursing home. What I'm hearing is scary.

All I can say is that my family had a good ombudsman and that the care did improve - it kept them on their toes. I would hope that anyone who is supposed to be advocating for the patient would not be influenced by the nursing home. We had good experiences with social workers also ( the nursing home hated them!)

And I should proof better---NH not NR! Need more caffeine!

1 2 3