My mom is in her early 60s and had knee surgery for the second time. The first time was a work related injury, this time was a replacement. My mom is completely sane but she likes to eat...she thinks Tim Hortons is a necessity several times a day. Her side of the family all have weight issues. How do I politely discuss nutrition and weight loss to her without her getting defensive?

She retired last year and bakes alot because she enjoys it. She has always been a little chunky but the last year she has put on more weight. She was a nurse so she knows better and her doctors have talked to her. Over the last 6 months, my son was taking her to the gym daily. I guess the hard part about talking to her is my son and I are not overweight so she gets defensive and says we dont understand how it is. I will be doing her cooking once she gets out though.

I agree. It's not like she is unaware that she is putting on weight, and she most certainly has heard all about the effects of obesity, in our society it is impossible not to.
I wonder why she is turning to food, what is the void in her life she is trying to fill? I know for myself that lately I have been on a steady diet of chocolate and fast food. I know I shouldn't but I just don't give a cr@p, hopefully when warmer weather arrives I will be able to distract myself and replace the eating with healthier stress relievers. Could you find ways to help your mom with that?

Just tell her that she's getting pretty hefty and needs to cut back. The rest will be up to her.