Does anyone know about the Veteran's benefit called Aid and Attendance? How is it applied for?

13

Answers

jet509 - my Mom died before Medicaid processed her claim, and they just stopped the process, leaving our family wondering how or whether to pay her large medical bills we were counting on Medicaid to pay retroactively. I wonder if calling or writing your Congressman would work? It seems like a long shot but maybe.....

Does anyone know if there is a income limit? My Dad's service disability payments are quite high (and of course he needs every penny to care for that). But he does have family members caring for him and can't work because he requires so much care. It would be good to have that money go to them or to someone who will give them some help. Also, is that money usable towards assisted care in assisted living or nursing care?

It has been almost 3 yrs. since applying for my mother. It is really ridiculous..What happens if the person dies before they receive it? I believe they should be made to pay it anyway. Maybe then they would go a little faster instead of waiting for the person to die first. At least that is what it seems they are doing.

We applied for this for my mom and received our first check almost 9 months to the day after applying. Now 10 months into the process, we haven't yet received the retro pay. As I understand it, the cost of her care must exceed her income. We used an eldercare financial planner to help us and am not sure we would have made it without their expertise. There are lots of documents needed and some are quite confusing. Many assisted living facilities and nursing homes have someone on staff that can help with this. It was well worth the time and effort for the monthly benefit we're receiving. Good luck!

I had great success within a couple months with the help of veteransfinancial they are a financial services specializing in this, it was free and they helped me every step of the way with every form.

I too was a local vet rep for a while. Most files takes 6 months or more, The more Documentation you submit with the inintal application speeds things along. Also
the originazation that you choose to help with the case makes a diffence. Lets say you chose the American Legion you might get faster service than lets say the VFW.
Check it out and make a choice based on what you vet rep recommends. AL really
does work fast. (FYI). Good luck.

I applied for my dad myself. It can be done but you must have all the information correct or they kick it back.. I also got my congressman to help me light a fire cracker under their butts to get me a quick answer.

My dad applied for A & A by calling VA local office. He then had Dr appt at VA. They put him in touch with Veterans Service officer in our county.
She files everything after I did all his paperwork. After 6 months, he was awarded A & A, which he receives. Great, but the back pay is being held as he needs a fiduciary appointed, which should be a family member as he asked for. The VA just keeps opening and closing this part of the case. You can follow on line with a VA account that you will set up for your vet. When we go through the veterans service office, she just says that it is going "fine and normal. Just be patient and wait for a call or letter. He is 87 and may not have another year to wait for his back pay. I'll probably try the congressman approach soon. Good luck.

I used to be a verterans service officer and when things at the VA continued to drag on and on, a quick call to your congressional representatives usually helped to speed up the process.

Make other arrangement while waiting for VA to pay on benefits. My husband waited almost three years and trying to get the VA to reassess takes even longer and they usually deny anyway. Also, the VA computers are not connected to other computers in the military system so make sure you have documented evidence of the disability. Finally, an appointment will be made by the VA's doctors to determine your disability. It takes a very, very long time to get anything done from the VA. If you have a VA near you, go in person. Just keep bugging them until you hear an answer. I seriously think they hope WWII vets as well as Korean and Vietnam vets die before they get their benefits. My husband was in all three.