This may be an old question and I don't want to get anyone in trouble including myself or my mother. However, my sister has been signing checks from various accounts that my mother has and issuing me monthly what she wants of mother's benefits. At this point and over the years I'm almost positive that mother should have an overage in this account.

If I'm correct, should I pursue applying for RP I could, if awarded, receive only the monthly payments going forward and then be responsible to keep a record of all expenses, what then would happen with the overage? Also was it legal for my Sister to continue to operate said benefits of my mothers in the matter that she has?

To my knowledge my sister has No power of attorney, it was explained to me that a "teller" or "bank representative" noticed mother not able to sign her name properly and from that point my sister was then added as a "signatory"?? I have no other information to confirm any of this.

Sincerely looking out for Mother's interests!!

Mom has Alzheimer's

This question has been closed for answers. Ask a New Question.
Find Care & Housing
There is no such thing as signatory rights, she is on the accounts. I just went through this with my dad, I had to be on the account to sign.

Obviously you are concerned that your sister is taking moms money. Have her doctor give you a competency letter to take to SS. The info DeeAnna gave is spot on, follow through asap.

If this adversely affects your mom and her ability to get assistance you may have to file a financial exploitation of a vulnerable senior with the police against your sister. Access to our parents money is not permission to spend it as we please.
Helpful Answer (0)

Here is the website for the Social Security's Representative Payment Program.  Copy and Paste URL to your web browser.

Representative Payee
Social Security's Representative Payment Program provides benefit payment management for our beneficiaries who are incapable of managing their Social Security or Supplemental Security Income (SSI) payments. We appoint a suitable representative payee (payee) who manages the payments on behalf of the beneficiaries. Generally, we look for family or friends to serve as payees. When friends or family members are not able to serve as payees, we look for qualified organizations. If you are concerned that someone you know becomes incapable of managing or directing the management of his or her benefits, please call us at 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778) to request an appointment to discuss your concerns.

Hope that this information is helpful.
Helpful Answer (1)

In this instance, yes look into becoming her payee. Do you have POA? It may help in the process but don't think its needed. I first would call SS and see what is needed. We just found out with my nephew that you can get a debit card thru SS. It goes thru their bank. Each month the money is downloaded to the debit card. Then you use it like a credit card. There is an app so you can check on purchases and balances. My nephew loves it.

By the way, just because your sister can sign checks, doesn't mean she is in control of the money.
Helpful Answer (1)
TinyBoy Dec 2018
Thank you for your response. I don't have a POA but I do have a Health Care Directive for Mother. I will be contacting SS the first of the New Year to see what is needed.

I'm somewhat confused as to your statement that because my sister can sign checks doesn't mean she is control of the mother's money! She has been writing them for a very long time now.
See 1 more reply
This question has been closed for answers. Ask a New Question.
Ask a Question
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter