My Mom is 75 and asking us to help her find a live in caregiver or caregiving couple to live room and board free in exchange for free care giving services in the early morning and again evening. She’s in Apple Valley. I have no idea how to go about doing this! We need a strong caregiver to assist her. We will train the new caregiver. We have In home health care for all other needs. We need someone effective this month Sept 2019.

Hello.
Yes fully aware.
We need two hours a day.
See my detailed reply above.
Any other suggestions are appreciated.
Thankyou :)
Reply to Faith2019

Faith, you mentioned needing a caregiver who is strong. Does this mean your Mom needs assistance being transferred from bed to a wheelchair? Then the reverse in the evenings?

Just curious why the home health care isn't able to do this? Or would that be a two person assist for your Mom? And there is only one home health care at the house during a certain time?

My Dad had 3 shifts of caregivers each day. And that became extremely expensive. It was less expensive for Dad to move into Assisted Living [which was his choice and recommendation], and Dad liked saving the money. He loved being around people of his own generation :)
Faith2019 Sep 4, 2019
(0)
P.S. What kind of medical condition does your mom have that requires this level of care? Would assisted living be better?
Reply to newbiewife

The OP isn't looking for 24/7 care, just someone to be there in early morning and evening. He/she states they have in-home healthcare for all the person's other needs. It's still a lot to ask in exchange for for free room and board, however, and it does raise all the legal ssues the other posters have mentioned. Perhaps free room and board plus a modest stipend (based on the amount of morning and evening hours) would be better, plus of course paying the live-in person's Social Security, withholding taxes, etc. Formal caregiver contract should be used also. The advantage for the live-in caregiver(s) is that they could have another day job or be going to college. OP doesn't mention if the live-ins would be on-call during the night, or how often they might have to help at night.
Reply to newbiewife
Faith2019 Sep 4, 2019
Hello, Yes you understood my request. So she had a stroke over 10 yrs ago so her right side ROM is limited. We have been using a local agency to get her in and out of bed for the last 10 years. The turnover in caregivers with the agency’s are so high. That’s whats been hard. My Mom and I are very aware of labor laws and he asked our family lawyer to draft a contract in addition to offering a pay through our own payroll company. In addition to the free room. That has been suggested by my Mom because she is literally in the middle of the dessert and many caregivers coming up have a long drive back. Also, cause she was trying to help someone as suggested below who may need a room. We do have my sister who lives there 24/7 but has a bad hip so she can’t transfer her in and out of bed. We don’t need anyone there 24/7 on call to help at night. Just to get her out of bed and then back in bed. That would be ridiculous to ask for anyone to live on call 24/7 just for a free room. Not sure who read “24/7”... yikes! I did find your reply helpful. Thankyou
(0)
So.... someone saves say $1200 per month on rent to be on call for your mom? $400 per week? Think about it - that is slave wages. Contact a care agency who can provide the caregivers, with a contract, who will COME IN during the hours you need. It will be costly and might be more cost effective to move your mom to assisted living.
Reply to Kimber166
Faith2019 Sep 4, 2019
Hello. I Replied to two post above.
Not sure if you read my request.
But Thankyou.
(0)
You (or mom) needs to contact the local Area Agency on Aging for advice on how to get her caregiving needs met.

The arrangement that she suggests is no longer legal in the U.S. You need to tell her that.
Faith2019 Sep 4, 2019
Hello, yes well aware but Thankyou.
See my detailed reply above.
(0)
This this issue has been posted before. It is quite impossible to hire someone to care for another with just free room and board. This is considered slavery as most labor laws require overtime pay for over 40 hours a week. These people cannot be available 24/7 because that will eventually happen when living in someone else's home . Also who would pay insurance if one of them got injured? How would the hiree be able to maintain transportation?Without being paid and filing taxes how would someone be able to contribute to their Social Security payments when they retire? Mom will need to hire someone and pay them with some reduction for room and board, however she will have to file tax forms and find workman's comp. She would have to find at least four people to cover her 24/7 and allowing for each individual to get time off.

You can you can start by looking for companion services locally to find out the costs and feasibility of visiting her twice a day. These employees are pre-screened and insured by the company.

Oh and by the way, this forum is not for classified advertising and it is international. We are just here to give advice. We would not even be able to know where Apple Valley is located.