Is there anything we can do?

My father in law just passed away. He was wheel chair bound from a stoke and other medical issues. His nurse from the V.A. hospital talked him into moving to a house 4 yrs ago and she would be his home nurse. Well now that he has passed, we find out she is on the checking account as a joint account, and on the life insurance policy. 2 weeks before he died she became his POA with out us knowing, so we were not notified that he was in the hospital when he died. She has the house keys and wont give them up so we can clean out the house, she says it is all hers. Is there anything we can do? She did not live with him, as she is married and lives with her husband.

19

Answers

Despicable that some people just wait in the wings and plan to rip off elderly vulnerable people. Unfortunately a lot of the time they get away with it.
I hope the police and her agency investigate and throw this low life bottom feeder in jail. Often they cover their tracks very well- hoping she didn't cross all the I'd and t's.
Pond scum.

no additional help, he was able to care for himself. She was with him like 6 to 8 hrs a day in and out. She kept his alcohol and cigarettes coming, so he was happy. We have a lawyer involved, her work is notified and the wheels are turning on the lies. and Yes she says that she was told everything was hers. We were told to just be patient and let the lawyer and police work. Looks like she has done this before too.

I imagine it's a matter of proof - why they don't arrest her. She's probably telling the police your FIL gave her the items she did return and claiming she never saw any rings, gold etc.

Which brings me back to a question I asked earlier- if she has a home with a husband in it and she lived there at least some of the time - who looked after your FIL when she wasn't there? If there was additional help they might be able to provide you with some concret information regarding your FILs personal belongings.

well the police made her give us the keys to the house, but she had already emptied it. Police talked to her and she returned some things, but all personal stuff is gone, like his marine awards and ring, all paper work gone. Deleted everything off his phone. We meet with a lawyer in the morning. I don´t understand why she is not in jail. Just the fact that all his meds are gone, oh she even returned a tv, but it wasnt his, his was a newer one, and we got an old one. Did return his wallet with 3 dollars in it and his v.a. card, He always had cash in his house and wallet. He also bought gold and silver, My husband is just so upset, losing all his dads personal things. She even destroyed a bedroom set, it is just trash now. THere should be laws about home nurses and what they are allowed to do. I am just baffled that the police dont arrest her. They were with her when she returned the stuff to the house. So if you steal from someones home and then bring some stuff back you dont get arrested. I am just so frustrated. She has his checking account, his life insurance why does she feel she should also steal personal things. AGGHHHHH

I would investigate to see if she has taken advantage of other elders in her care. Google her name and also look for complaints registered at the State Board Of Nursing. You need to file a complaint with them, the VA, police and Elder Services.

If she works for an agency chance are there are all kinds of rules regarding accepting gifts, handling money etc. while this might be enough for her to loose her job, there is a chance she might have signed some sort of contract or agreement in order to work there - which may be to your benefit if you challenge her claim to bank accounts, insurance money, etc.

funeral will be in a few weeks, so sister in law can be there. He was cremated so time is not a problem.  We are going to contact the police and talk to her boss at the agency.

Also you could tell her you are going to file a complaint to the State Board of Nursing if she doesn't cooperate.

You didn't mention if there was a funeral yet but she can't make claims that she owns everything and keep you from entering a rental that is probably in his name without showing some kind of paperwork. Have you seen the power of attorney? Can you get the landlord to let you in? She's probably busy going through all his stuff and moving money behind the scenes. I would call the police. If she has a nursing license she should cooperate as a complaint might cause her to lose her license.

Her POA is complete once he dies. To be sneaky do you have his death certificate? You can go to the Post Office to forward his mail to you. That way if any legal stuff such as bank statements and tax forms come in, then you have some paper trail. I do recall that a family member pettitioned the court to have a will and documents overturned on a technicality. The person who was to benefit from the will actually took the person to a lawyer. His claim was that she did not go to the lawyer on her own accord.