Does anyone know of anything to help me sleep?

Melatonin does not work and I'm Lactose intolerant. If I don't answer or look at your answers it's only because I am busy. not rude. Thanks. BB

35

Answers

1 2 3 4
I use a product called Alteril. It's over the counter, causes no "hangover" and it's not outrageously expensive. I take two every now and again when I just can't sleep. I give one to my mom too, when she gets agitated.

Have you tried meditation, you can learn to get all thoughts out of your mind and it will help you relax. there are classes in it and cd's and dvd's that might help. my wife has a yoga tape she watches and at the end they have her light down under a blanket some time she responds to the tape after that and sometimes she awakens to the end of the tape.

I have trouble sleeping also, and tend to wake up very early - and then go back to sleep if I'm lucky. The things that have helped me are Rescue Remedy ( they have a sleep formula that you spray on your tongue) and Valerian, also I take allergy meds like Tavist D which I break in half, unless I want to sleep until 11 am. Warm milk does help some also.

I would not presume to offer advice on sleep medication, that is a job for your doctor. you seem to have many other problems that should be addressed by medical professionals. My only advice would be to avoid a heavy meal in the evening or stimulants such as coffee or alcohol. you are correct that too much Tylenol can cause kidney failure. Do not exceed the total dose on the label. Too much Advil may cause bleeding and again don't exceed the recommended dose and avoid completely if taking Warfarin.

Benadryl is often used. I take 2 but my mother (95) was told to take 1.

So last night I got 1 hr. of sleep. The tea I drank and the cold pills well helped the cold but nothing helped the sleep. My mom who I take care of who can drive will have to drive today since she wants some junk food. which I do not buy or recommend. Got to go for now.

I can tell you what works for me:

- Drinking chamomille tea (helps relaxes you)
- Reading while laying down (always puts me to sleep)
- Listening to relaxation music (search for one on youtube or Pandora)
- Prayer (giving your problems to your higher source)
- Writing your problems/worries/concerns on a sheet of paper right before bed. It actually takes your mind off of things.

Make your doctor check your Thyroid T3 and reverse T3 levels not just your T4 TSH levels. If they are low, go for Armour Thyroid, not Synthroid. Insist on it. Since I have been managing my thyroid and I gave up my coffee and switched to herbal tea, I am sleeping so much better. In addition, I take BoneStruct (calcium, mag. potassium, etc.) right before I go to bed and that really helps too. There is also an herbal tea called sweet dreams that seems to help.

2 Advil PM works like a charm, next in line Alteril, last but not least Valium when all else fails.

Thanks so much drsuze . I will stop at Whole Food or another place I go to and see if I can get my hand on this. Have a nice day and thanks again.

1 2 3 4