Is there anything that can stop bladder or UTI infections in elderly women?

Hi, my nan is 91 and is currently in hospital with a UTI. This is her 8th time she has now been in hospital with a UTI and she displays the symptoms of being confused and tired/weak no energy or talking wierd. Just wondering if anyone has had same experience or knows any ideas on what to do? Without a UTi, she is really healthy. Mum took her to local doctor when she had a UTI and he gave her a course of antibiotics and she was fine, then 3 days after she finished them she got an infection again. Doctor won't prescribe a daily antibiotic because it will affect the kidneys and liver but they are already damaged due to age and the medication she already takes. Just wondering whether seeing urologist will actually help and find solutions for her or if she is just at the age now where she will constantly get them? Without a UTI she is really healthy, she is currently in hospital and doctors are meeting with the family to discuss possiblity of nursing home which she is 100% against. Do the doctors have the right to force her into a nursing home against her will? What can a urologist do for an eldery patient with recurrent UTI's? Thank you in advance, really want to try get some answers from other people who have been through the same thing with close family or friends.

25

Answers

1 2 3
D mannose powder is the answer.

I used to get regular UTIs myself, until a doctor remarked almost casually to me that they were always caused by cross-infection from faeces at the anus. The line for younger women used to be that they were the result of abrasion during sex! Not quite the same thing! I started to be much more careful, washing myself before sex (lucky I always wanted a bidet), and washing myself if I had diarrhoea or even after flatulence. I haven’t had a UTI for years now, and I am amazed that the information wasn’t easier to find. Implementing this is difficult for an elderly person, particularly a woman who has always wiped from ‘back to front’. However the knowledge of the problem might help all concerned.

Thank you for all of your replies. She is still in hospital, they are treating her for the infection to her chest and bladder still. Very sleepy and tired and no energy so i'd say she will be in there for a while before we need to decide what to do with her after hospital. Hopefully we can get her into a rehab centre close by for 12 weeks to get her back on her feet if she can get well again before leaving hospital

really appreciate all of your replies, they have given us some good ideas, very helpful. We will have to try get a urologist to see her as well.

She won't like it but give her a small glass of water with a teaspoon of baking soda in it for 2 or 3 times in a day and give her lemonade or orange juice to flush her system. The next day 200mg vitamin C tablet one in the am and pm. She should be feeling better by then. The urine needs to be acidic to prevent bacterial growth

My mother is currently in hospice, and despite daily showers and keeping her very clean, she too keeps getting UTIs. Doctors have treated her with so many antibiotics that she is now antibiotic resistant to 90% of antibiotics. One thing you need to make sure they are doing is not only testing for a UTI, but growing a culture to make sure she's on the right antibiotic. If they don't do this, they may be treating her with something useless, which won't kill the infection, but will increase her chances of becoming antibiotic resistant. You'll be surprised at how many of her nurses don't do a culture. We insist on it now.

A great supplement for to prevent UTI's is Olive leaf extract. Taken daily this will ward off any UTI infections plus it is great for immune support and a healthy heart. Make sure that it has 25% oleuropein.

Unfortunately for women, the urethra is significantly shorter than a man's and with age, membranes thin out, the immune system declines, and the risk of an infection increases. Make sure she wears cotton underwear and wipes from front to back and takes other proper hygiene measures. You can reduce the risk but not eliminate it.

Never hurts to see an urologist. My mom kept having reoccurring UTIs and we found out she had bladder cancer. Has she been tested for anything else? Never hurts to check.

It's crucial to change the wet Depends asap. That's a big cause of UTI's. Also in many cases if you ask her if she is wet she will say no because she can't feel it. Also when they are incontinent they don't always realize they are or have peed. So don't rely on that answer. Change every 2 hours. Another issue will be when she is discharged from the hospital she will probably need rehab to rebuild her walking skills and gain strength back.

My mother also has had problems with UTIs and since I've been giving her one cranberry capsule per day, we've not had any more problems. As it is difficult for her to swallow pills, I open the capsule and stir it into a little unsweetened applesauce. I hope this is helpful!

1 2 3