Is there anything legal we can do for my husband to see his mother?

His sister has moved with their mother and won't tell him the address. We are so frustrated. My husband's sister decided to move in with their elderly mother who has progressive dementia. At first we thought it was a good idea but now she has moved with their mom and won't tell my husband where they have moved to. We know she has convinced my mother in law to add the sister's name to her bank account and we believe that she is helping herself to the life savings the mom has spent her whole life accumulating. My husband was the POA but the sister convinced the mom to replace him with you know who. Isn't it tragic that we are talking about family members that commit this kind of treachery.

64

Answers

1 2 3 4 5
Hello to my very supportive friends. It's been a little over 3 years since I've been on this forum. If you have previously read my story about my evil SIL kidnapping my MIL who had been diagnosed with dementia the last year and 1/2 of her life and hiding her from my husband and I, the saga that unfolds is both treacherous, pathetic, and Incredulously cruel. After mom passed away in July 2013 her estate was unsettled since she died without a will. Evil sis moved out of state conveniently but was subpoenaed by the court to appear for the estate hearing. Now mind you this is just to determine who will be the personal representative of their mom's estate. When our case was being heard Evil sis preceded to throw papers at the judges saying that this is what we stole from their mom but with absolutely no proof of what she was accusing us of. They were just receipts of whatever. When asked to present his side my husband was contained and eloquent. I was so proud of him. When one of the judges asked her how much time she spent with mom before the dementia she lied and said whenever she could. Complete total lie. She hadn't spent any time with her mother for decades. When the judge asked when the evil one became POA, before or after dementia of course she couldn't lie. After. One sympathetic judge said she had one parent who had dementia and was unable to make financial decisions. With that evil sis blurts out "Mommy wanted me to have the money." Her entire family was living off of Moms pension and dividend checks. As the judges called a recess Evil sis called me a dog and said I never loved their mother. Funny since she was never around and mom and I had a loving relationship. Long story short sanity prevailed and my husband was chosen mom's personnel representative. She was to report all of mom's remaining assets but ran away and again we couldn't find her and had to alert the sheriff's office to serve her. She never complied but luckily the court found in our favor. Warning to everyone. When it comes to money people become different. This was my husband's blood sister. We have survived but it has changed us. His entire side of the family is damaged. Evil knows no bounds and has No Conscience.

Oh Missy sorry you had to deal with this crap. I'm so glad you and your husband got to see your MIL. God bless. Just keep smiling and don't look back..

It's difficult when you have this much hate being thrown on your direction. She is even slandering our children. What a legacy she is creating for herself.

missymay you are so right to decide to move on and not let evil sil ruin your life.
Sil has not won she just thinks she has. whatever she has done will not make her happy. You have a wonderful loving family so move forward and appreciate them. The past is over and done with

We went to the lawyer this morning and it looks like evil sis wins for the most part. I think we just need to move on after this. It's a hard pill to swallow but I know that God will watch over us. This is not right and it hurts but the situation is out of our control,
Thanks for all of you. When I needed to vent you were on this forum offering your kindness.

It is so nice to share with people who have walked in our shoes. Yes thank God we saw her and it was lovely to watch her and my husband talking together. I remember thinking what if this is the last time we see her. I'm glad we hugged and kissed. That is something SIL can't take away even though now she keeps insisting that my MIL forgave my husband on her deathbed. At the end MIL couldn't communicate at all. How horribly cruel and disrespectful to their mom and my husband to tell lies like that. Although we are not surprised. My husband had a POA in 1995 when his mom was lucid. We are going to see if there is anything we can do. It seems like she has won but I do know that karma will seek her out. Can't wait.
Just read your post to my hubbie and he said thank you for your concern and caring words.

I am so sorry for your loss, and so sorry your worst suspicions seem to have been true. Though getting a person with dementia to sign over funds certainly is fraud and exploitation and you would think a prosecuting attorney could be interested, if sister had legal rights to do that via POA papers (validly executed and changed *before* Mom had dementia) there may not be as much they can do. If I read that right though, sister had her change the POA - husband did not resign as POA - and that might have been improper or improperly done, which would give you more of a leg to stand on - and especialy so if you have any medical evidence of incapacity before that change was made. Also, the documents are public - you have a right to see them - and would have to have been notarized and witnessed to be valid. I doubt APS will make it a high priority to help since the person has passed away and can no longer be harmed; they would have been required to investigate if anyone in the medical side reported the injury as inconsistent with the history or with MIL's capabilities. If an APS report was never done, a police report could be filed, and it is possible they could conclude it was not natural causes if there is enough evidence in the medical record. I almost feel like I am grasping at straws on this...but I can't help it, this is all so unjust.

We did not have to go through probate because my's mom's assets were spent on her care, but maybe someone who has been through it can advise whether probate can and will insist on getting the information that sister is still withholding from you on the bank accounts...again, my sincere condolences, my heart really aches to hear this has played out in such a sad way...I guess the only good is that hubby got one more visit with Mom, and at least she can't be hurt any more.

If social services thinks Mom has her mind they won't do anything to help the situation either. BTDT. I'm sorry you lost your Mom when it could have possibility been avoided. I don't know how that works where the bank is concerned. There was a case where a daughter had her dad's POA and transferred his house that he built into her name. They had the audacity to try to evict him and the poor soul was 90 some years old. Some people are just evil.I don't know where you are located but in Va the statute of limitations on fraud is 2 years.I hope this information is being of some help to you. It's the fact that people can do things like this legally though unethical and get a way with it that makes me want to open up a big ole can of whoop a$$ on them until they give back what they stole. The truth is that now I probably couldn't fight my way out of a wet paper bag I've gone so far down hill. I hope you have better luck than I did with that mess you're having to deal with.

It almost could be considered kidnapping in a way. Add to that, suspiscion of fraudulent use bank funds? I wonder if Adult Protective Services would be of assistance to you?

We are seeing a lawyer on Wed. We have been trying to seek some legal advice but the responses are never positive. She had all of their mom's money moved from mother's original bank account and transferred it to another with her name on it. Somehow she convinced the mom who had dementia to put her name on the bank account. She has been so secretive she will not tell my husband where the money is. There's an honest person for you. Because we have to go to probate we are hoping she will have to account to the courts but so far we have been frustrated.

1 2 3 4 5