Is this something I should look into for my Mother?

Absolutely. I think it will encourage her to find and log in all the elements she uses to manage her life. It is a gentle way to encourage this since folks don't like to be pestered into being organized by their children. Depending on your age, you might want to also start a My Life Directory...abrupt changes in our lives can happen at any time.
Reply to n123456

Think carefully about where to put the pouch with all the papers. Besides nasty curiosity and theft, you need to think about fire, flood and hurricane. Our house burned down, together with birth divorce and death certificates, passports, qualifications, licenses and all the other paper records. It took hours of work, months of delay and $$$ to get replacements. Now we keep photocopies in a safe place in the house, and the originals somewhere much safer.
Reply to MargaretMcKen

You can do this without purchasing a book.

I had Mom put all important papers in a zippered pouch she had. This included her birth certificate, Dads birth certificate ( even though deceased Mom needed it for certain things), marriage certificate, divorce certificates (mom was married before and I needed to prove it for A & A) Dads military records. A printout of all accounts with the bank this included IRAs, CDs. Proof of investments. Deed to house and mortgage paid or still owed. Life Insurance still in effect. She showed me where she did her bills, survey to the house. She was pretty good at keeping everything in one place but it was really nice having it all in the pouch so I could just pick up and go. If there are POAs, they should be in the hands of the person who was assigned. Leaving a copy with parents. There have been posts where the child knows they were assigned but can't find them when needed and parent can't remember where they were put.

I personally have everything in a spare closet. I have a small filing cabinet. My investments are all together showing who to contact. Our birth and married certicates are in a folder with our passports. Car titles and info in a separate folder. Same with bank info. On and on.

Mom kept my fathers ID and SS card. You never know when u need stuff like this. I still have Moms, just in case.
n123456 Mar 17, 2019
Sounds like you have it all together. For some people just listing the location is a challenge. One advantage of having a list is that it serves as a prompt for folks to get started organizing.
(0)
I just checked out the web site - it's something all of us should probably think about. You could probably put the information together yourself but it's cheap, even cheaper if you buy a digital copy, so nothing lost if you go for it.
Sendhelp Mar 17, 2019
Oh, it is a website.
I did not know.
(0)
There is also a "FILE OF LIFE" that has medical information to stick on the refrigerator, which includes a DNR if desired. Emergency personnel are trained to look there when called to someone's home.
Mine just says: "I want to live".
My hubs' says: "I want to live".

A book entitled MY LIFE DIRECTORY would need to be secured, away from visitors and personnel because of the risk of identity theft. Maybe in a safe deposit box?
Reply to Sendhelp
n123456 Mar 17, 2019
That is one advantage of My Life Directory. It can be filled out and scanned/copied and kept in the bank or in the cloud. I think it also is available as a digital file PDF.
(0)