Anyone else trying Axona on themselves or have loved ones on it?

I'm just looking around for others who are trying or have tried Axona or have loved ones who are on it or tried it. My mom just started using it and I'm hoping it will help her.

17

Answers

destroyed, statins are bad. Read that again. Thanks.

Destroyed, we are all caregivers on this site. When questions are posted many others will respond with suggestions and ideas. My Mom has entered the later stages of Alzheimer's disease. This awful disease has taken her memories a little bit at a time which is very difficult for everybody that knows her.

There is so much that needs to be controlled when caring for someone with dementia. I for one give my mother a few tablespoons of wine each night for "cocktail hour". This has been part of her life and is important to everybody around her. She enjoys having just a bit of wine, sometimes she drinks it and sometimes she doesn't. This wretched disease has taken so much from her that I am not going to take something that she has long enjoyed. And when she does drink the wine, she gets a better night sleep.

Sure the wine could cause a reaction with meds she is taking. But, you know I really hope that a heart attack, stoke, or anything else ends my Mom's life than the long slow death of Alzheimer's. This attitude is held by many caregivers, we will not take things from them that have provided them comfort through much of their lives.

On this site I always try to be nonjudgmental of how others handle the thousands of issues that can come up. Naturally, there are times that I try to offer suggestions to someone. If they disagree, so be it. They are doing what they can and the best they can in finding what works best for all concerned. If my suggestion helps the poster, wonderful, if not, maybe someone else reading the thread will find something useful. If they don't, that is OK too.

I see you are very new to the site. I hope you can find assistance with things that come up for you. And like the rest of us here, take what you can use, then leave the rest.

Please do NOT take the advise of pamstegman to give alcohol to a person with dementia. Horrible advise. And a statin, have you read about the problems with statins? Who gives advice like this? Please - all the people reading this forum, there is a person who contributes to EVERY question and continues to give questionable advice if not very bad advice.

Lord, I didn't know coconut oil can cause diarrhea. I don't have that problem with it. Thanks again for the info.

Cindy and coconut oil is well known for causing diarrhea. Had thought about that too. But do not need additional problems.

Cindy,
LOL! Back to the old adage, don't fix it unless it is broken! This especially applies when caring for those with dementia. It is a fine line we all walk.

Gladimhere, mom doesn't have diarrhea at all anymore. The neurologist had told me the combination of Namenda and Aricept should slow the diarrhea (?) She's been on both of those for quite awhile now. I will check out the probiotics though, thanks for the suggestion, good to know should that kick in again. If I were braver, I'd just wean her off the Namenda and the Aricept, but as all's pretty quiet on the home front right now, will rest a bit before something else kicks in, ha-ha. Looks like it wouldn't hurt if I give mom some of my coconut oil (have used this myself for a few years and love it). Thanks much!

It never fails to amaze me how big Pharma can take something as cheap and simple as coconut oil and turn it into an expensive prescription item.

It's actually fractionated coconut oil. I certainly didn't know that. Sounds like it's verrrry iffy at best...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Axona

I would never have given my husband alcohol, with his dementia. Unless you told me was gonna cure him.